Ae86 eats fuel pumps like skittles
05-09-2024, 11:30 PM
at the risk of jinxing myself.... my 86 has been running daily without any real issues.
The only issue i've been encountering is that it eats fuel pumps at a pretty alarming rate. My latest started producing a high pitched whine a few days ago, it sounds like the intro of the immigrant song by led zeppelin.
I installed this fuel pump almost a year ago. Before that i had one that lasted me less than half a year.... I bought the car with a broken fuel pump too. Thus far all my fuel pumps have been Walbro 255 lph units which may point me to a reason why this has been happening. For the sake of good science I have purchased a Deatschwerks DW200 which I will install as soon as it gets here. If I manage to run this pump for a decent time my mystery is solved but I somehow got this gut feeling that even this Deatschwerks pump won't last.
During my last install I have thoroughly multimetered all the fuel pump connections, they all checked out just fine.
an interesting detail might be that once the headlights are turned on the pitch slightly lowers, this might be a quirk and not causal but noteworthy nonetheless.

Anybody out there experiencing similar issues?
Or any suggestions as to where I could start solving this mystery?

lines are fresh, gas tank is new, fuel filter is new.
Find all posts by this user
05-11-2024, 10:45 PM
Start worrying if the more expensive pump also fails quickly, if you bought it from a reputable source that is.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-13-2024, 10:23 PM
(05-11-2024 10:45 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Start worrying if the more expensive pump also fails quickly, if you bought it from a reputable source that is.

the deatschwerks pump was sourced from driftshop france, they have never let me down (except i also got my walbro's from them)
05-15-2024, 10:09 AM
BTW, you say your fuel lines are fresh, does this include the hard lines? IIRC, you get enough fuel pressure now, but any undersized lines or kinks in the lines might put the pump under more strain.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-15-2024, 10:41 PM
(05-15-2024 10:09 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  BTW, you say your fuel lines are fresh, does this include the hard lines? IIRC, you get enough fuel pressure now, but any undersized lines or kinks in the lines might put the pump under more strain.

i'll have another look at those... they are not new but were in good condition when i changed the pump after buying the car

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Rota Designs. What would you like? nmwisima 10 14,587 11-11-2013 03:03 PM
Last Post: nmwisima
  Need your help,looking for a rallcar thats looks like this ditn 17 20,427 04-11-2013 07:13 PM
Last Post: ditn
  I would like to puchase AE86- help RUSTY88 9 8,611 01-08-2013 09:40 PM
Last Post: banpei
  AE86, What does the Original Wheels look like? andyling 9 13,475 01-20-2011 10:57 AM
Last Post: andyling