Aram's 3SGE Beams Levin Coupe
10-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the kind words.
While I was grounded at home today due to construction work being done to my house I sort of come up with a plan C....

.... I'll simply buy an Altezza! now I know that sounds a bit weird but actually isn't. After a chat with my friend in Japan I should be able to get one for 4-5000US$ shipped if I shop around. I would then use it for the time I'm in this country and take the advantage of having an A/C (temps here are ~40°C 11months/year) and before I leave I'll remove the engine and all I need and sell/scrap the rest.
As a bonus this will give me the opportunity to strip down the AE86 and give the shell a bit of a refresh; seam welding and fixing the very little rust I have.
Now as always there is a catch to this plan as well. Before I go and buy one I have to check with the ministry if I'm allowed to drive one here... so wish me luck as they are quite picky when it comes to old cars (registering my AE86 took 3 months and they only did it because it was here already and a fuck up on their side).
We'll see a story is over but the saga continues Smile

PS: good luck with finishing your swap

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
you can get Altezza with slight damage from UK for round 1000-1300 pounds. Saw atleast few sold for this kind of amount on http://www.copart.co.uk

For europeans guys this would be best option Smile

Ex-owner of JDM 83' Trueno Coupe
DCw Classic, classic cars restoration,
JDM wheels & parts import, sales.

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks
+37067170000
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2011, 08:04 PM
doggy Wrote:you can get Altezza with slight damage from UK for round 1000-1300 pounds. Saw at least few sold for this kind of amount on http://www.copart.co.uk

For European guys this would be best option Smile

although I'm originally from Europe I currently live in Africa so this is not much of an option. Also for that money they most probably aren't genuine manual RS200 models.

AE86 ex-daily
10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
Bean Bandit Wrote:
doggy Wrote:you can get Altezza with slight damage from UK for round 1000-1300 pounds. Saw at least few sold for this kind of amount on http://www.copart.co.uk

For European guys this would be best option Smile

although I'm originally from Europe I currently live in Africa so this is not much of an option. Also for that money they most probably aren't genuine manual RS200 models.

They are Wink Belive me, i was on the hunt for them year ago. Ofcorse body will be with the damage - but major components are ussualy intact. I understood that you are not in the europe right now - but for EU guys - this might be an option.

Ex-owner of JDM 83' Trueno Coupe
DCw Classic, classic cars restoration,
JDM wheels & parts import, sales.

http://www.facebook.com/DogCustomWorks
+37067170000
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Bean,

Sorry to hear about that deal turning sour.
But that new idea sounds pretty good, when will you know more? Thumbs up!

KD229,

Nice to know my project gives you a bit of inspiration. Wink
In the end you will be happy you kept going, you will enjoy it more when you build it yourself. Smile
10-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Aram Wrote:Bean,

Sorry to hear about that deal turning sour.
But that new idea sounds pretty good, when will you know more? Thumbs up!

This is going to take a while - dealing with the ministry is like running a marathon while being strapped to a truck - exhausting and you get nowhere.
Chances are slim though that they'll allow it as the latest law prohibits older cars (max 5 years) but that's just the theory - real world anything can happen here, like insurance quotes in UK there's no common sense behind it what so ever.

PS: any updates regarding your build, looks like this page is dedicated to me Wink

AE86 ex-daily
10-21-2011, 07:15 AM
Lol, waiting for parts, so maybe next . :-)

But I hope they will cooperate.
Why are you moving around so much, is it for your job?
10-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Aram Wrote:Lol, waiting for parts, so maybe next . :-)

But I hope they will cooperate.
Why are you moving around so much, is it for your job?
It's due to the job of my wife (embassy employee).
I like it even when it makes certain things more complicated and I had to give up my garage (I kept all the samlish tools though incl. TIG).

AE86 ex-daily
10-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Aram Wrote:But I hope they will cooperate.

Just received note that they don't Sad so I'll guess I'll have to wait 'till the next country and hope they allow the swap.

AE86 ex-daily
10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Argh...
Here in Holland it is doable, but the weather is crap.
So when are you gong to move again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 148 161,031 04-23-2024 10:06 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Krullibulls Ae86 BEAMS is the only way krullibull 86 86,696 05-07-2019 09:35 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Trueno Hatch and Levin Coupe - Repair, replace, pray xD TomRich 13 14,403 10-07-2018 09:45 PM
Last Post: banpei
  @dodo@ Levin Coupe, renovation and tuning (56k think twice) @dodo@ 165 157,682 03-28-2018 12:35 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  AE86 GTV-Multipoint Cage, Beams, AP Brakes & Brides Conrad 462 599,027 06-27-2017 12:21 PM
Last Post: DJexor