Broken lsd?
10-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Broken lsd?
Last friday I noticed for the third time (happened two times before) when driving off my car was making noise from the right rear wheel. Each time it didn't happen again after that, but this time I noticed a difference in the car. :'(

When pulling up slowly the car feels like it is being pushed (more like a kick) from the right rear wheel (first and second gear), also when slowing down by letting the gas go in third and second it feels like the car is being slowed down on the right rear wheel.

Could a broken lsd cause this? Being stuck to the right or something? Dumb question

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Broken lsd?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2005, 10:08 AM
Broken lsd?
If it's only on one side I would first consider faulty brakes, then faulty wheel bearing, and when you've checked those (and ony after that) would I consider the problem to be in the LSD.
Maybe a caliper is sticking, maybe a caliper bolt came loose (like it did on my car). If it's your wheel bearing it's going to make a lot of noise pretty soon. My best bet would be something in the brakes.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Broken lsd?
Hmmm, that's a good one. I think I'll check the brakes. Ofcourse I did work on the brakes a while ago so perhaps the bolt came loose. Smile
Thanks! Thumbs up!

10-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Broken lsd?
Okay... It was not a broken LSD. Confused
It turned out two of the links were broken. Sad

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Broken lsd?
WOW Huh that is some serious stuff man!I don`t want to imagine what would happen if the other 2 would also break!

Real men race downhill
Find all posts by this user
10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Broken lsd?
DAMN Huh Huh
What is that stuff where the bushings are supposed to be? I thought you had pillow-ball 4-links under that trueno but this looks more like steel bushings.
If i remember correctly Mux still had some of these links from his spare axle.. I think I might have one from nohachi's old celica axle in the basement as well but that's not going to help much is it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Broken lsd?
wouter86 Wrote:WOW Huh that is some serious stuff man!I don`t want to imagine what would happen if the other 2 would also break!

How could this happen?Extreme speed over bumps or something?Maybe wrong installation of the links?
Bizarre thing is I didn't drove wild / extreme etc with the car, while TE71Corolla threw it into every corner he could find. It just broke while speeding away after parking the car (second one) and after stopping for an old lady to cross the road (first one). Huh

All four links are tailor made, so they are thinner (to save weight?) and probably weaker. They used to be under Kees's car and after that TE71Corolla mounted them under mine. So I guess it's just age which caused it. Wink

Lucky enough I drove very carefully after it happened, so hopefully no damage to the axle and prop. Smile

Ivan141 Wrote:DAMN Huh Huh
What is that stuff where the bushings are supposed to be? I thought you had pillow-ball 4-links under that trueno but this looks more like steel bushings.
If i remember correctly Mux still had some of these links from his spare axle.. I think I might have one from nohachi's old celica axle in the basement as well but that's not going to help much is it.
Nylon bushing. Wink
And they are already swapped. Smile

10-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Broken lsd?
Damn!

Find all posts by this user
10-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Broken lsd?
HOLY SMOKES!! Never ever seen this happen before and ive even saw some rust bucket ae86s fromthe UK that this have never happened to.....lucky for u u were only cruisin about and not mid drift at 60-70mph as u really wud have known all about it!!! Huh

get some spherical jointed links dude. much lighter than the std shite and makes the rear end extra tight! like what the panhard rod does.....in fact..CHECK THAT OUT TOO ON UR CAR!!! make sure its not some pencil ass tailer made shit to save 1Ib. remember, tailers make and fix suits for people...not rear links for 86's! :wink:
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Broken lsd?
Ian - AE86 Wrote:HOLY SMOKES!! Never ever seen this happen before and ive even saw some rust bucket ae86s fromthe UK that this have never happened to.....lucky for u u were only cruisin about and not mid drift at 60-70mph as u really wud have known all about it!!! Huh

get some spherical jointed links dude. much lighter than the std shite and makes the rear end extra tight! like what the panhard rod does.....in fact..CHECK THAT OUT TOO ON UR CAR!!! make sure its not some pencil ass tailer made shit to save 1Ib. remember, tailers make and fix suits for people...not rear links for 86's! :wink:
Believe me: these links have proved their right for existence. Wink
Breaking one would put all the stress on the other links, so it's quite logical for the other to break shortly after the first.

But I'm not aiming to make my car a mean drift machine, it's a daily beater. Stock links would suit such purpose fine. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broken 20v upper timing belt cover chip 2 4,104 07-16-2012 07:11 AM
Last Post: Jan Pedersen
  Broken bolts - Water pump pack 13 13,155 10-05-2011 08:02 PM
Last Post: pack
  changing diff ratio, broken LSD??? fax0815 6 7,463 09-06-2011 08:19 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  my last broken engine....(probably not least) filh 9 7,003 04-09-2009 10:50 PM
Last Post: Rasteirinho
  Broken rear end(ring pinion) filh 9 7,772 09-11-2008 11:06 PM
Last Post: filh