Corolla KE10 in the Alps
05-21-2024, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2024 01:00 PM by decryphe.)
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
After having looked for one of these first gen Corollas for a while (they're rare as hen's teeth now!), I stumbled across a barn find to my liking. The car was posted for scrap value, it had to be removed from where it was standing to make space for the garage business that kept it.

Story is: This specific car was the first car sold by the garage in 1968. It was on the road for about four years before it got damaged (some rust plus a minor fender bender), after which the car was bought/taken back by the garage for its sentimental value. After investing quite some effort into it (fixing rust, painting, and some more), the project stalled and ended up being one of those "eventually I'll get back to it" kind of projects. Last year the original garage owner passed away and left the project as it is. Now with some change of regulations for disposal of used tires, they need the space and can't keep the car. After posting it, they got flooded in requests, but I was the first to offer to come and look at it - which I did and decided to take it.

The car is actually in good condition, since it's essentially been parked in this dry and cold spot for the last 50+ years. Rubbers are soft-ish, car's dry, only minor rust in the front wheel wells - and the chassis is basically spotless, paint is perfect. It's just missing a fender and the bumper, all other parts seem to be stored inside it. The engine is in unknown condition, but probably needs unsticking from dried oils.
Cleaning the car really shined it up a lot already, it looks really great from the rear. The plan is to collect info and parts to start reviving it next year.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps]

Exclamation Does anyone of you know someone who might have the fender and bumper bits?

Fun fact: The >50 year old tires still hold air! Otherwise we couldn't have pushed the car into the garage being two lightweight youngsters.
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2024, 01:24 PM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
Congratulations and nice find. Sometimes I wonder how many gems are hidden away in this small country.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-21-2024, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2024 04:01 PM by banpei.)
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
That's one heck of a barn find! Apart from the missing fender and bumper, it's exterior appears to be in excellent condition! Thumbs up!

Someone I've bought a Carina bumper from actually has a used KE10 bumper for sale:
https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/auto-divers...r-gebruikt
No rust, but it does have a dent in the middle. If you want it, I can arrange to purchase it for you and collect it.
I can ask him to be on the lookout for a fender. He tends to bid on ex-dealer stock and then collect everything and sell off the stuff he doesn't need.

1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
05-22-2024, 09:40 AM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
(05-21-2024 01:24 PM)Bean Wrote:  Congratulations and nice find. Sometimes I wonder how many gems are hidden away in this small country.
Yes, it's rather surprising how much stuff is still around somewhere, even with such limited space.

(05-21-2024 03:59 PM)banpei Wrote:  That's one heck of a barn find! Apart from the missing fender and bumper, it's exterior appears to be in excellent condition! Thumbs up!
Yes, it's really great! Very happy to have found it and that I was quick enough to get it. It does have noticeable but solid rust repair on the front strut domes and front wheel wells, but I don't see that as an issue.

(05-21-2024 03:59 PM)banpei Wrote:  Someone I've bought a Carina bumper from actually has a used KE10 bumper for sale:
https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/auto-divers...r-gebruikt
No rust, but it does have a dent in the middle. If you want it, I can arrange to purchase it for you and collect it.
I can ask him to be on the lookout for a fender. He tends to bid on ex-dealer stock and then collect everything and sell off the stuff he doesn't need.
Yes, please! Then I can also bring you the stickers I promised long ago when I pick it up. If you can ask for hints of where to find the other missing bits, I'd be very happy.

Worst case, the left fender can be made from sheet metal, since I have a good right one as a template. I've seen a grille on ebay, which I'll also order soon, but I'm waiting for the workshop manual to see what other bits I may be missing.

Also, bonus I forgot to mention: It came with the full set of Toyota tools from that era.

05-22-2024, 09:58 AM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
I've sent Patrick a message. Thumbs up!
And those tools are equally impressive as the KE10! Huh

1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
05-29-2024, 11:43 AM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
I've got a mate who has a KE10, waiting in line for restauration, but he probably won't come to it, he said.

If you're interested in the car as spare parts donor, i can bring you in contact with him if you want?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps][Image: AEU86 AE86 - Corolla KE10 in the Alps]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
05-30-2024, 10:00 AM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
(05-29-2024 11:43 AM)The Doctor Wrote:  I've got a mate who has a KE10, waiting in line for restauration, but he probably won't come to it, he said.
Absolutely, that would be really nice, thanks! I'll PM you.
07-22-2024, 09:58 AM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
Small news for the last months: I have in the meantime acquired a new old-stock exhaust and the missing fender has re-surfaced.

07-22-2024, 08:02 PM
Corolla KE10 in the Alps
I can't wait to see how nice it turns out, looks like one of the best projects ever.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  JDM GT-Apex Trueno in the Alps # decryphe 107 81,092 10-16-2024 02:46 PM
Last Post: decryphe
  JDM JZA80 in the Alps decryphe 16 9,458 04-22-2024 01:25 PM
Last Post: decryphe
  KE10 - what to do with it ? Uzelac 8 9,380 11-25-2010 08:27 PM
Last Post: fax0815