F20C / F22C --> AE86 wiring inquiry
08-20-2008, 09:00 PM
For those brave souls who ventured into the realm of VTEC, are you running the factory S2000 ECU or stand alone? I'm contemplating a future F22C swap but would like some guidance regarding the unenviable task of wiring the factory ECU. I would love to have an AEM EMS but I'd rather bank that money instead. :wink:

Please give me +/- feedback on your experiences.

TIA!
Find all posts by this user
08-20-2008, 09:56 PM
I have heard that if you intend to use the standard honda s2000 ecu you need to ensure you have the immobilizer system, keys and all. I could be wrong though. My friend Pat in Canada is running his trueno on an F20C with stock ECU. I will try and find out more for you.

The AEM EMS System for the s2000 is a straight plug in to the std F20C engine harness to replace the factory ecu. It allows for live mapping and has many additional inputs and outputs to drive any additional sensors/fans etc you need to drive. This one comes in 2 types - one with AEM's wideband o2 sensor - one without. Its easy to plumb it in afterwards if you get the one without.

Paz has a fully functioning F20C running on the VEMS ECU from his old 4AGE setup. It required use of a completely different crank trigger wheel and sensor and different coils (I believe). I also believe you no longer use the cam trigger sensors in this configuration as you end up with higher resolution readings on the crank (36-1 compared to 12-1 on the stock internal trigger wheel I believe) I am sure this loom could be easily reproduced if need be as we used the wiring diagrams from the s2000 workshop manual to figure out what was what.

My friend is running his F20C on DTA S40 PRO in a carbon bodied Westfield. He too had to use a cosworth crank trigger (36-1 wheel) and is also running with Ford duratec (not over plug) coils and cosworth leads. This ECU also struggled to get readings from the stock internal crank trigger. I believe the higher up models in the DTA range can be configured to work correctly though.

John who owns JSPFab and sponsors paz is running a HALTEC system on his F22C powered trueno. This has worked in both N/A and forced induction configurations. I believe John machined the internal trigger wheel on the crank for this ecu. Hmmmmm....yummy

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - F20C / F22C --> AE86 wiring inquiry]

I guess pretty much any ecu can be used providing you can make a loom work with what sensors are already there - or make use of other sensors in areas where you cant read or control the stock ones.

Regards Ian.
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - F20C / F22C --> AE86 wiring inquiry]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Excellent reply Ian, much appreciated. I will have the entire immobilizer system, so I'm good there. There's a shop on Club4ag that specializes in wiring harness conversions which I might use but am waiting on a quote at the moment. If it's not excessively expensive, I may use their services to ease my pain 'n suffering!

BTW, I also know Pat. I haven't asked him about wiring yet because I thought AMT did all the work on his swap. If Pat actually did the wiring, then that would be helpful.
08-27-2008, 05:36 AM
I have seen people use this and they always suggest using the AEM EMS or the K-Pro for the computer system.

Fully Restored 1985 Corolla GT-S
1987 328ci SR20DET Drift Car
1989 Honda Civic Si-R Current Project
2002 Corolla CE Daily Driver

http://www.TheTunerSource.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tail light wiring... Mylesmck 4 747 02-02-2024 12:36 PM
Last Post: Mylesmck
  Lambda sensor wiring sam3007 10 4,006 05-23-2022 10:00 PM
Last Post: The Doctor
  4A-GE wiring engine to chassis connectors Lykowsky 4 6,689 06-20-2019 11:38 AM
Last Post: Lykowsky
  Some wiring help needed DJexor 5 5,243 05-18-2019 01:50 PM
Last Post: DJexor
  AE86 F20C swap - Radiator issue mad.matt 3 5,735 02-07-2018 05:14 PM
Last Post: mad.matt