Dream About Tomorrow
Find all posts by this user
10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Firehawk's N2 racecar project
Allexz Wrote:where can i buy the 10k tachometer? ihave a LHD
Here is some:
http://www.stylingbutiken.se/Shop/Applic...hp?iId=244

http://www.stylingbutiken.se/Shop/Applic...php?iId=69

"Tämmösellä modernilla autolla, niin mun mielestä, ei tämmöstä kisaa voi ajaa. Tää käy kunnon päälle eikä riitä aivot tähän touhuun!"
""With a modern car like this, in my opinion, a competition like this can't be driven. It's too physical and your brains can't cope with this stuff"
-Henri Toivonen 2.5.1986-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwgB4Xs4LVQ
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-26-2007, 10:41 PM
NONONONO.. the Toms version Tongue to have original in the analog cluster

Don´t Think About The Past,
Live In The Present And
Dream About Tomorrow
04-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Ok, this project is slowly waking up from it's winter hibernation again. It is my firm intention to drive it around Alastaro circuit this summer and I'll be damned if I'll let anything come between me and my hachiroku again. Big Grin

Anyway, I started by soldering a bunch of resistors inside the ECU to fool it into believing that the throttle position and intake air temp sensors as well as the idle mixture pot are still connected. I still need to get a decent vacuum signal into the MAP sensor but for now, I just made a quick'n'dirty solution of grabbing vacuum from the brake booster hose coming from cylinder #4. Probably not very stable but at least it's something.

Even after having stood stationary for quite some time, it was relatively easy to start the car. Start the pump, want until the carbs fill, blip the throttle a few times and crank - the engine fires up with a thundering roar. The ECU seems to work fine now, no CEL and the the alternator seems to charge as well now that I'd fixed the wiring. Our ignition lamp is broken so I'm unable to confirm if the ECU is controlling the ignition advance but once warmed up, the engine does, however, rev nicely up to redline. Still a bit of spitback from the carbs but the base advance may well be slightly off as well.

Lots of bits and pieces still needed to get the car up to a properly driveable condition, though - most notably a seat, a windshield, brake discs and pads and a fuel tank. Also, since I'm currently running a set of stock bigport cams, I'm on a lookout for a pair of 300ish duration cams and stiffer valve springs.
04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
I am running 297/12mm cams made my Angelworks Technolgies in the UK which are amazing Thumbs up!
Any pics of the rest of the kit yet, i badly need a front splitter for my TRD kit.
04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Rossi Wrote:I am running 297/12mm cams made my Angelworks Technolgies in the UK which are amazing Thumbs up!
Any pics of the rest of the kit yet, i badly need a front splitter for my TRD kit.
12mm lift? Huh Wow - are you running fuel injection with those or carbs? The idle must be quite wild either way. Wink

My N2 kit is still at the guy who does fibreglass work as he's making proper molds of them. I do have some old pics here but will post new photos as soon as I get the fresh parts off the molds, hopefully sometime early next month.
04-12-2008, 12:44 PM
lol they are with fuel injection, well i haven't heard it run yet is just being finished, can't wait to hear it! Huh
Will you be willing to sell me a front lip when you get the parts made?
04-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Rossi Wrote:Will you be willing to sell me a front lip when you get the parts made?
That should be possible. The FRP guy can make all the parts of the N2 kit so I could ask him if he could make one extra front lip and sell it to you.

Ok, making some progress with the car again. First of all, the brakes are now all done and working, although they still need a good bleeding. I replaced the front discs, all pads, lines and hoses. The 195/45R13 Conti Sportcontact front tyres also arrived but I haven't had them changed on the rims yet.

So far the engine has been completely stock, with the exception of a 11.2:1 compression ratio and some porting and polishing. To slightly bring the engine up to speed, I installed a pair of Schrick group A camshafts with 296 degree duration and 8.6mm lift. This particular pair of cams was originally owned by none other than the former F1 driver Jyrki Järvilehto! Huh They were used in a gr.F AE86 rallycar which he raced at the "Tunturiralli" rally in 96-99. These cams are pretty close to the "magical" 9mm limit where under-bucket shims are required, so I'll probably go for stiffer springs and 1SZ-FE buckets later on.

I also reworked the exhaust system a bit by swapping out the original manifold in favor of a Martelius 4-1 manifold. I also added a small-diameter absorption muffler to cut the high-frequency noise a bit because test running the engine, even for short periods, makes my head hurt. Wink

A bit of enginebay bling in the form of a set of velocity stacks was also added. Smile

To fill a big hole at the rear of the car, I got 8-gallon (~30l) RCI safety fuel cell with foam and an aircraft-style filler cap. It's actually a bit deeper than I originally intended, so I'll need to modify my rear bracing to mount the cell slightly lower. Once the cell sits at its location, I'll start working on building an aluminium enclosure around it.

Finally, I found a second hand Sparco Pro2000 FRP racing seat in excellent condition and as extra, also got a pair of sliderails and side mounts - both from Sparco as well. I'll need to modify the mounts on the car a bit to bolt on the rails, though.

My fingers are really itching to get that fuel cell installed but no work on the AE86 this weekend - our first endurance race of the season with the CRX this sunday at Botniaring.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Can you tell me the price of that fuel cell.
I need one for my starlet

Always on top always on sideways
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6080/...tomrx5.jpg
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
I bought the fuel cell from a local shop called Racer's Place for 138eur but Summit Racing in the US also sells the same fuel cell for $145.95;

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...toview=sku

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ae86 racecar with beams engine bakonick 148 160,358 04-23-2024 10:06 PM
Last Post: bakonick
  Racecar: TRD USA built ITA AE86 oldeskewltoy 38 41,161 07-22-2019 02:55 PM
Last Post: apardal
  S.K.s AE86 racecar S.K. 207 216,821 09-18-2016 11:39 AM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Jonny's Levin Racecar Jonny Rochester 9 11,817 01-03-2010 04:34 PM
Last Post: woper