Need peoples opinions.
01-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Need peoples opinions.
Hi,

Right now I have a Triumph Dolomite Sprint. Now I am doing research on what car to go onto from it. I am wanting something faster than it, but the main thing is that it is fun.

So I have got it down to a few cars,

Mk1 MX5 turbo/sc
Vauxhall Chevette (zetec or xe engine in it)
AE86

Now, I don't know that much on the AE86, for example what sort of spec and condition could I get if I spent roughly £5k? Plus what sort of power is deemed the sweet spot for it? Not sure what way would be the best, tuned 16v, tuned 20v or gze.

Also any other opinions are welcome, just trying to find out more about it really. Seemed like a good forum on the AE86!

Many Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2008, 05:26 AM
Need peoples opinions.
this is AE86 forum! & you want fun factor? = ae86 for me.

test drive each one then decide. Tongue
01-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Need peoples opinions.
To be honest, all of those cars you listed are lots of fun.. but in different ways.

The chevette is a bit comparable to the ae86 in concept.. crude, lightweight and probably much fun with an xe in it (they say it's very easy to swap GM engines around between most models). That being said, I dont like the looks of the chevette (hatchback opel manta if I'm not mistaken).

The miata is a very refined little 2-seater. My mom owns one and I drive around in it often enough. They handle like nothing I've ever experienced before (dont have much experience though). The difference to the ae86 is big though.. much more modern suspension, grip-limits are a lot further away, but it is a lot more tricky at the limit.

The ae86 is also a spartan car, very basic suspension setup, but lots of fun to drive at and over the limit once you get used to it (sideways that is). Also has a charm all of it's own that separates it from the other two.

Power-wise, a stock ae86 and 1.6 miata are comparable, the ae86 having a bit more top-end pull, the miata is better torque-wise. As for the chevette, I believe it's not very interesting in stock configuration so I wont go into that.

When it comes to swapping engines in, there are plenty of options for all 3 cars:
-miata: lots of turbo/SC kits, V8 swaps are also done a lot in the US.
-ae86: GZE, 20v, 3SG(T)E, there's one with an XE swap on the forum as well.
-chevette: Zetec, XE, insert any GM engine of your liking.

As for practicality: ae86 parts are hard to find and often expensive. Aftermarket is pretty strong for this car though.
Miata: much easier to find parts for, though I doubt they will be much cheaper than ae86 stuff.
Chevette: If it's anything like this part of europe, then it's cheap parts galore.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Need peoples opinions.
Get a Miata. Or a 200sx. You wont regret it.
Have fun with it, crash it and then go find a nice 86 for the rest of your life.

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Need peoples opinions.] http://www.jdmbits.com
01-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Need peoples opinions.
AE86 all the way, you should find a pretty mint one with some good modifications and even a 20V transplant for £5k
01-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Need peoples opinions.
buy a functioning AE86 v a good 20v engine. Promise that u will not get tiered of the car.

Don´t Think About The Past,
Live In The Present And
Dream About Tomorrow
01-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Need peoples opinions.
My co-driver has a Chevette 2.3hs...... now he's gonna sell it and buy an AE86 Hurray!

An analogue brain in a digital World
01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Need peoples opinions.
I read some things about the Dolomite, mainly that it's a fun car. What's wrong with it? Dumb question

1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Need peoples opinions.]
01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Need peoples opinions.
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Always welcome. Smile

Ivan141, Ahh I wasn't too sure wether the chevette would be quicker round corners or not than the AE86, that clears that up. Parts do worry me a little with the AE86 though.

So is the 20v engine the way to go then with the AE86? What sort of power do they make? Am I correct saying they had a slightly less racey cam as standard compared to the 16v? If so, does getting a racier cam help it out quite a bit?

totta Crolla, Interesting to hear that! 2.3HS is good I heard too.

banpei, Oh it is a fun car, though it does have its problems. I have already got through one engine on it! Plus it isn't the easiest to drift with, which is always fun. Another thing is I wouldn't mind a slighter quicker car round corners. I already have Spax shocks and springs all round on it which helps the Dolomites handling, but want more.

One thing in the back of my head is the sheer price of the AE86 compared to a miata or chevette...