What brand of street shocks do you have?
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Quote:Recommended by KONI (for rear):

95+ Mustang (rear)
Koni 8041-1186S -sport Externally adjustable, and valved as an ae86 would need to be.

OR (even better dual adjustment!)

93+ Camaro (rear)
Koni 8242-1006SP1 dual adjustment (compression & rebound)

140EU and 230EU /each respectively. Damn that's expensive ! Tongue
Maybe in USA these prices are lower (domestic car etc.) ?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
260 EU is $336US today.

A lot less than what the same shocks sell for in the US ($450+) there may be import tariffs on them, or the US distributor may simply charge more, perhaps for the lifetime warranty?

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
Find all posts by this user
01-31-2007, 11:18 PM
Lifetime warranty comes standard on all koni shocks I think.. but I wont speculate on that untill I actually need to use the warranty. The yellow's I'm using at the moment are second hand, I couldnt imagine why they would ask for a proof of purchase on life-long guaranteed products, but it is highly likely.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2007, 12:43 AM
"I couldnt imagine why" Simple economics. for the same reason that car makers will offer a 5-year warranty to the original purchaser, knowing that the average customer sells it after 2-3 years so they're only really expensing a 2-3 year warranty while advertising one twice as long.

Or in the US now, GM is advertising a 100,000 mile warranty. The catch is, 100,000 miles or five years (in smaller print) and they know the average buyer only drives 12,000 miles per year, so for MOST of their claims they are only going to need to worry about a 60,000 mile warranty. Even if that's transferrable to the second owner.<G>

When you require proof of purchase or proof of installation, most folks alos just can't find it, so they give up and don't put in a claim, and then they blame themselves. (Well, that's partly right.) The folks who make the best products, and usually charge accordingly, often will not play those games because 1)They've already charged you for it 2)They're proud of customer relations 3)They know the real long term value of happy customers.

But these days...it's all about what your stock price is at the end of the day, not how well you've done over the years. Sad thing.

Original owner, 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S in the US of A. Will trade for a Cadillac-Gage V150 or a Ford GT44.
02-01-2007, 06:42 PM
Apolan Wrote:so camaro 93+ or mustang 95+ would be the choice? how much custumisation would that involve? only shimming down the excess metal around the ear?

And what was that recomendation for the front? What kind of shocks are those? would this setup also work gret on softer springs (F:4kg/mm,R:3)?

The rear's would only require PUSHING the metal center sleeve out of the bushing. The rear's come with a lifetime warranty.

The front is a RACE strut and does not come with a specific application from koni - and it is NOT a lifetime warranty.

Those selections were what myself and a guy at KONI came up with when looking for a correctly valved combination of SHORT STROKE strut/shocks for the AE86 chassis - with external/top adjustment so you don't have to compress the strut/shock and turn it to adjust. (which can be a pita at the track)

They were also chosen because they are better valved and designed to handle a stiffer spring rate than the normal AE86 application. I told him most likely the front would see anywhere between 6-10k front spring rates and rear 4-8k.

Andrew
02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Well, since im going for 4kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm back with some 30-40 drop, i think im gonna go with ae92 yellows front and camaro rear (theese are also the "yellow" shocks right?

Does that sound right?

What about those bound/rebound adjustables for the mustang? Why do they have both and the camaro's dont?
02-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Apolan Wrote:Well, since im going for 4kg/mm front and 3 kg/mm back with some 30-40 drop, i think im gonna go with ae92 yellows front and camaro rear (theese are also the "yellow" shocks right?

Does that sound right?

What about those bound/rebound adjustables for the mustang? Why do they have both and the camaro's dont?

Try to source a set of Illuminas. The fronts may be still available new, the rears are discontinued, but sets do pop up on ebaY and other places semi-frequently. Your rates aren't really that stiff for Koni yellows... and you already heard Koni reds require full compression to adjust them. The Illuminas are top adjustable shocks. I have a full set in my car right now(also have a set of HTS112 on the shelf) and they are PERFECT for my spring rates(4.5kg/mm frt... 3.0 kg/mm rear) Since your anticipated rates are similar to mine, I figured I'd recommend what has worked WELL for me.........

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
02-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Thanx! But since konis are easily accesible here, and they have worked well for many people and are not that expensive and have a lifetimewarranty and since they are adjustable i figured they would work fine. ae92 yellows are also top adjustuble if i remember correctly right? meaning i just pop the hood and fiddle with the knob on top right?
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
interesting thread!

I'm looking for about the same setup as you, Apolan.

Now i'm tending for a setup that was mentioned before:

TRD japan Adjustable shocks (front: 4 settings, rear 8 settings)

with

TRD japan lowering springs.

So the normal TRD shocks (adjustable) for AE86 in the TRD catalouge are Short stroke or long stroke? i think it was mentioned before they are short stroke Sad ... Then is the "non adjustable" set of TRD shocks the same as Tokico Blue's, which would be long stroke? Sorry for the new confusion.

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_shock.html

Also, does anyone by chance know the spring rate and amount of lowering of the TRD springs?

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_spring.html

Also, i've noticed most of you so far have ordered at TRD Usa? I usually order my parts at a japanese shop, so they will be from TRD japan and I hope there are no differences..
02-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Fallquz,
if you buy tokico blues (non-adjustuble) for ae86 they will be longstroke i think. Ae92 shocks are short stroke.. im not sure about the Adjustubles, but i would guess that the same principle aplies. At least it does so with KONI yellows.

Perhaps you should look up KONI dealers near you, i think you can get konis cheaper than TRD/Tokico ones, specially if you include shipping, taxes, customs.. Sure they won't be "original JDM" stuff, but so many people here have had nothing but great experiences with them.

Still waiting for the price quote from my dealer, but you should be able to get a complete set of yellow koni adjutubles for around 250-300 eur. How much are the TRD adjustables?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best thing I have done to my car yet! phill 92 7 7,482 07-16-2012 02:19 PM
Last Post: gt4st205
  How much did you paid for you TOYOTA AE86??? kennedy8383 11 11,730 09-07-2011 09:16 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  say what ! ... a must have to your collection! ae86driftmaster 7 8,075 09-21-2010 06:49 PM
Last Post: ae86driftmaster
  DO you KNOW this BRAND? sergiocharged 3 3,934 11-08-2009 06:55 AM
Last Post: sergiocharged
  street legeal tenshi240 4 4,873 06-23-2008 10:43 PM
Last Post: Bubble_Drift