Windscreen stoopid(?) questions....
04-29-2024, 07:55 PM
So two things that I find confusing when trying to follow the manual,

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Windscreen stoopid(?) questions....]

.... Here it says to prime the glass, ok, but then wipe it off before it dries?!?!?!

And then, fitting the mouldings

.... Now, I never stripped this car so I'm relying on info from the Internet /YouTube and the manual to guide me. I have a new moulding complete with 4 clips. I have 4 fasteners on order. I had assumed that the fasteners would attach to the body and that the clips would attach to the fasteners. Am I wrong?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
04-29-2024, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2024 09:57 PM by banpei.)
For the rear quarter windows: yes those clips need to be attached to the body and then you click the moulding over those clips. You can see that being done at the beginning of Neil's final video that went online earlier tonight:

For the top moulding of the windshield, those clips will attach between the windshield and the body and be stuck in the adhesive.
I wouldn't know anything about the primer though.

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2024, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2024 08:30 AM by Mylesmck.)
Thanks @Banpei, yea I'd figured out the rear quarters from the manual.
So are the "fasteners" not required? Just the clips?

This is the fastener.....

The clip on the right hand side is what came with the moulding

04-30-2024, 09:02 AM
Hmmm, that's a good one. For me, it was about 18 or 19 years ago and I remember the Carglass guy stuck behind the glass then it settled in the adhesive.
I know R.ave replaced his upper moulding a few years beck. Perhaps he can shed a light on it?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
04-30-2024, 04:31 PM
I've installed the windshield some months ago, and as you, struggled a bit on what goes where.
About the primer, in the kit i used there was a primer pen, i have applied it both on the glass and the car, but did not wipe it.
I followed the instruction provided with the material i've purchased that probably isn't exactly the same one used by Toyota 40 years ago Big Grin
I've used Betaseal 1130 if this can help!
About the clips for the top moulding, i've ended up placing them as the image in the manual, but i still haven't tried to put on the top moulding, so i really don't know if the white are needed or not, but since they are not stuck in the glue like the black one, i think it's something you can adjust later if needed.

04-30-2024, 06:42 PM
(04-29-2024 07:55 PM)Mylesmck Wrote:  [...] Here it says to prime the glass, ok, but then wipe it off before it dries?!?!?! [...]

It's not uncommon for primers to work this way, it will wet the surface, leaving primer molecules attached to the surface. Wiping off any excess ensures the glue is bonding to that single layer of molecules that sticks to the metal. Primer molecules probably don't bond to each other, which means that a thick layer of them would simply make the window not stick to the car. This depends on what chemistry you're using to glue the window.

Think of the primer molecules like having two ends with different shapes, hooking into different other things.
04-30-2024, 08:20 PM
As you can see from the last illustration the clip that comes with the moulding only goes in 3 places at those places there's no fastener.

AE86 ex-daily
04-30-2024, 09:46 PM
@Blaze0010 and @Bean, thanks lads! That helps. Do you think that the fasteners are there to ensure a certain distance from the roof? I'm sure there are other occasions where Toyota use words to name things that don't actually describe what they do....

Cheers @Decryphe, as I'm not using Toyota branded adhesive/primer I should probably go with the instructions on the kit I got. It's called Masterbond 1hr drive away window bond kit

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v Silvertop - New Haltech ECU & Couple of questions 20valver 10 1,666 05-26-2024 07:40 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Zebra zone windscreen banpei 6 921 05-18-2024 02:42 AM
Last Post: zenki
  Windscreen totta Crolla 15 4,489 10-18-2022 10:08 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Replacing Top Windscreen Moulding chrisae86 2 1,827 06-18-2022 08:56 PM
Last Post: chrisae86
  Brake Bias Questions mad.matt 10 10,644 01-03-2019 04:54 AM
Last Post: mad.matt