Bakwoods back from the dead
11-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, I was on here before about a year ago just lurking and I haven't posted since. I was in the process of aquiring an 87 rolla, but the lady I was trying to get it from wouldn't budge. She had "too much going on in her personal life" whatever the hell that means.

Either way it looks like my patience has actually paid off for once. In about 2 weeks I'll be picking up the car from her garage, it's on flats right now hasn't been started since at least 1990. So figure over 20 years of rust, rot, and ruined fluids. I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of information listed online about how to restore something from the dead especially THIS old. However I do know the general guidelines. The car was luckily garaged in a barn so it didn't see the elements, however I fear there are rodents, bees, muppets, and the like infesting the chasis. I hope that I don't have to sit there replacing chewed wires and cleaning chipmunk carcasses.

I look forward to getting it towed to my house where I will slowly start dismembering it and rebuilding it bolt by bolt. I figure the very least I can do is to replace the rusted bolts and replace with new ones. Clean the engine bay REAL well. And then start considering all sorts of ideas as to a motor swap.

I look forward to getting some opinions from you guys and I hope that I can get some tips and tricks that will help ease me into this transition.
Find all posts by this user
11-30-2011, 08:06 PM
that sounds like an awesome deal.

I doubt there will be much rust, unless the car has seen salted winterroads in the years it has been running, so you might be in a bit of luck Big Grin

Just check out various project threads. I'd start with checking the engine and fluids, going over the breaklines a bit and see whether it starts with some fresh gasoline and oiling Smile

And take it from there. You could do a complete stripdown/teardown and build her up from scratch, including a new paintjob. Or just do some engine work Smile

Check out the body and engine manuals from the frontpage. That'll help you out with the basics for bodywork, engine and electrics. Well, just the whole car Smile

Good luck!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bakwoods back from the dead]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Welcome! Wave

Sounds like you have alot of work ahead of you.

Don't forget to open a thread in the 'projects' section.

good luck.

ハチロク

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bakwoods back from the dead]
12-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy. I've already looked over the vendor's thread and clicked around. Parts are CHEAP! I'm honestly amazed at how inexpensive some of this stuff is.

All things considered I might just go ahead and do a complete tear down and rebuild.

@Cavey: Def going to check those threads and build up as much knowledge as I can. I try to read first, ask questions after I get the facts. No one like double posted threads on the same questions lol. But your right, the car is unlikely to have much rust, if any because it sat garaged the whole time and was parked in the summer of 89 probably lol. I am actually unsure of the exact year and model because it's buried alive under a pile of junk. However the owner said that she wants to see it completed and running.

@Zenki: Sure will. It'll probably be entitled "Destroy, Build, Destroy"

A wise person said to me:
"This car will descimate all in it's path...after you dump $15,000...or more in overnighted parts....from Japan."

After a complete clean out of the car's motor, it'll be time to get the stereo up to date. That'll mean new speakers, radio, and the like. I work in a Customs shop, so I have no problem with fiberglass and bondo. A few weeks of that stuff and I'll have a sound stage like no other. Granted the car will be a bit underpowered in it's early stages. The first year will be the toughest, afterwards it'll be up to me to swap something wild into it. Mmmmm say an F20C or 1JZ depending on money and ease.

The real thing I want out of this car is for it to be a daily driver but also a drift machine. So that'll mean upgraded everything while maintaining it's fun loving nature. Let's see what happens.
12-01-2011, 06:34 PM
4age in a hachiroku is wild...very wild

Philip

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guess what... back again! JTA 4 4,663 06-08-2007 12:10 AM
Last Post: JTA
  I'm back! JTA 9 7,151 08-13-2006 04:12 PM
Last Post: JTA