Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'
09-30-2013, 08:04 PM
NoHachi Wrote:Price for spindles from BC racing?

finally got all the prices from BC USA (might be cheaper if you manage to order direct from Taiwan):

ER Series (independen bump/rebound adjustment and external reservoir):
[list]fronts only without spindles US$ 1140
fronts only with spindles US$ 1290
full kit US$ 2150
Lower mount/spindles US$ 425 each (includes the damper!)[/list:u]

BR series spindles are US$ 250 each

both ER and BR sereis are available with custom spring rates for the front but they only have 6kg for the rear.

I'm a bit puzzled as why the ERs are so much more considering the only difference as far as I know is a window slot on the side to accomodate the extension cable for the damper adjustment.

Will try to get more info but think I'll have to lay low a bit before I start annoying the sales guy Smile

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2013, 09:27 PM
offtopic

Wait did you live in belgium for some time?Smile

ontopic
I wish i had youre suspension knowledge
After a topic here i decided on good advice to let someone do them for me.
Like most rallycars here i have koni's in the back and bilstein(from porsche) in the front with the inside completely changed,you can no longer call them konis or bilsteins.Although they are made for rally they work really well for circuit also.
I also decided to not go for coilovers due to laws and not having the knowledge to adjust them.

He wants to keep secret what he is doing i dont know more details,but you can probably ask some rally drivers what they use.
Find all posts by this user
09-30-2013, 09:44 PM
ditn Wrote:offtopic

Wait did you live in belgium for some time?Smile

ontopic
I wish i had youre suspension knowledge
After a topic here i decided on good advice to let someone do them for me.
Like most rallycars here i have koni's in the back and bilstein(from porsche) in the front with the inside completely changed,you can no longer call them konis or bilsteins.Although they are made for rally they work really well for circuit also.
I also decided to not go for coilovers due to laws and not having the knowledge to adjust them.

He wants to keep secret what he is doing i dont know more details,but you can probably ask some rally drivers what they use.

offtopic:

yes I did live in Brussels back in 2010. Now I'm in Tel Aviv after 2.5 years in northern Africa.

ontopic:

I wouldn't consider myself an expert - if I was I wouldn't need to ask for oppinions. I do know though the huge difference proper adjustability can give you when set up right.

I learend everything I know through lots and lots of reading, talking to experienced people and trying out things my self with a good measure of common sense thrown in. Only took me 15 years so far :wink:

I can feel for you regarding legal issues - Switzerland is overall similarly bad compared to Belgium. Me living/moving about abroad in the last 4 years didn't make it any easier - I have some more freedom regarding modifications now, but especially after 2.5 years in Africa the lack of professional help/resources (parts and knowledge) is intimidating to say the least. If I'd be living in the UK I'm sure my project would have been finished a few years ago.

Me being who I am I'm already thinking about what's going to be next and it's a real struggle in my brain as I'd prefer to have 2-4 different cars rather than 1 + daily (which I have to get a new one too) Banging head

AE86 ex-daily
09-30-2013, 10:46 PM
NoHachi Wrote:You cannot go to low in an AE86 and retain reasonable bump travel with operational springs. Even short stroke setups will have very little bump travel left. That means you need good bumpstops and high rate springs to come up with a decent working setup at low rideheight. Imho best avoid the whole stance teenager look for the street and focus on a rally look badboy. More difficult to pull of by a long margin though.

PART of why my car sits at, or very near stock ride height.....

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']

....allows me more compliant spring rates, and with adjust-ability in the dampers... makes for a tuneable street car.

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
09-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Cool i live in west-vlaanderen,were you have 10+ rally in a radius of 25 km or so.I drive to work on ss so lots of fun but very deep cutted next to the road.

Yeah i also did lots of reading but in the end i dont think it would work for me.
Well lots of parts available here but bad laws like you say.

I started with the idea of having 1 daily(peugeot 106 gti,also great fun car) and 1 ae86 for circuit/rally.
Now i dont think it will work since the ae86 is full fledged for circuit but due to supercharger bad for rally.So if i want to rally ill need to find another car,but funds are kinda low for moment.
So expensive building a rally/circuit car which is good.
09-30-2013, 11:12 PM
ditn Wrote:So expensive building a rally/circuit car which is good.

True, ironically I bought my AE86 because it was cheaper to run and maintain than my S13 at the time. So far I even managed to spend less than I did on the S13 but I hazard a guess that it will turn out to be about the same once I'm finished. At least I'm sure it's cheaper than whatever next project I'll go for.

AE86 ex-daily
09-30-2013, 11:20 PM
oldeskewltoy Wrote:
NoHachi Wrote:avoid the whole stance teenager look

PART of why my car sits at, or very near stock ride height.....

....allows me more compliant spring rates, and with adjust-ability in the dampers... makes for a tuneable street car.

I'm not aiming to have a slammed car at all but a little (~2cm) lower compared to what I have now (~5cm less than original give or take). I think this is reasonable considering the rather high original stance.
Also it will not be my daily driver anymore and despite the fact I don't want to be overly uncomfortable driving to the track, it certainly will be aimed closer to track use than street. Also if I manage to get the suspension setup the way I want, I should be able to get the stretch between both worlds using two/three different sets of springs to adjust to the situation.

I couldn't find a better pic right now but that's the current ride height (old pic but same setup)

also whatever I'll get will be more comfortable than my bike :wink:

AE86 ex-daily
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
After a lot of experimentation with ride height I came to the conclusion that the ride height for decent handling balance and grip is dictated by the rear roll centre height and on a standard axle set up this both difficult and expensive to adjust to any great degree.

An analogue brain in a digital World
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
After a lot of experimentation with ride height I came to the conclusion that the ride height for decent handling balance and grip is dictated by the rear roll centre height and on a standard axle set up this both difficult and expensive to adjust to any great degree.

An analogue brain in a digital World
10-01-2013, 10:10 AM
totta Crolla Wrote:After a lot of experimentation with ride height I came to the conclusion that the ride height for decent handling balance and grip is dictated by the rear roll centre height and on a standard axle set up this both difficult and expensive to adjust to any great degree.

?

Isn't it simply a matter of changing the panhard rod mounts to something adjustable? Have to admit that live axle kinematics are still a blur to me.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear