BC BR-Type
DIY coils based on HTS
other - please mention in post
[Show Results]

Suspension Opinions - Please vote!
05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Do you need adjustability on dampers ?
I would make custom kit for much less if i'm building suspension today.
Bilstein B6 are very HQ stuff but pretty cheap and can be custom valved for few hundred euros.

Avoid D2, Ksport and other Taiwan stuff.
Find all posts by this user
05-22-2014, 10:26 AM
I do prefer to have adjustable dampers yes, I do use them quite a lot to adjust to situations.

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Shocktec stuff could be very decent, stuff I'd like know before buying:
- What kind of stroke is available after you subtract the room that the adjuster cup takes up?
- Shock dyno? Or are they flying the old mystery flag. Would donate money towards having someone dyno them if that is the case.
- adjuster quality? What adjusts? low/high/bump/rebound

Same questions that I have with all systems really. Having a bunch of AE86 drivers go "Ermagherd!" doesn't do much. They did the same with Greddy, D2, whatever is under the car is the best suspension on earth. Even if they are getting a grand total of 3mm suspension stroke its still nice and stiff. I'd stick to facts.

Having adjusters is usually only a big benefit on poor setups. I had a set of B6 Bilsteins with well matched springs on the MX5 and it did almost everything extremely well. Set and forget.

Now have a set of adjustables and can eek out a bit more comfort, but at the cost of body control.

If it was me, I'd sit back and wait just a big longer. I sent a some valve specs to Lajos a while back that he was going to use in custom bilstein struts. Curious how that works out. Also, I would shorten you current struts and just run 6/4 with helpers for a while.
Snap oversteer when chucking the car is usually a bumpstop problem. Either that or you're getting some axle steer or bind going on (less likely).

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm also sure you don't need adjusted dampers, even though i have one, i don't remember when did I used that last time.
Custom valved B6 will tolerate +-15% spring rate and that's all you need.
Beside, I would take monotube inverted instead of twintube adjusted anytime Smile
05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
(05-22-2014 05:48 PM)Uzelac Wrote:  I'm also sure you don't need adjusted dampers, even though i have one, i don't remember when did I used that last time.
Custom valved B6 will tolerate +-15% spring rate and that's all you need.
Beside, I would take monotube inverted instead of twintube adjusted anytime Smile

Shockwerks are monotube inverted and adjustable. I adjusted my dampers on every track I've been so far.
The Nurburgring needs a softer setup then Spa, Zolder or Anneau du Rhin for example. Also on the trips to the tracks I always put them on soft.
Most likely people just can't be bothered I guess. But driving the AE86 8 years as a daily driver and track car I love the possibility to adjust the comfort level and behaviour. Also at drift events I always put the rear dampers very hard to lower traction to help out with the lack of torque. Whereas on a grip event I did the opposite.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
05-22-2014, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 08:27 PM by ditn.)
Bit oftopic but you have driven on spa and zolder,very nice i have also driven on Zolder and i want to drive on spa this yearBig Grin
I have 6/4.5 non adjustable dampers front and rear which are custom valved.
Since i didnt have the knowledge i didnt go for adjustable ones.
05-22-2014, 09:35 PM
Don't get me wrong I have a friend who does competitive drifting and has no clue about the technical aspects of the car and just adapted his driving all the time. The few times I was at events with him, he non the less appreciated when I set up the suspension for him according to his feedback.

I think you will do fine on those tracks. As they are rather smooth ones.

John, pending a reply with more details on the Shokwerks setup I really think I'll give it a shot - if they are as good as everbody sais I owe you a beer or kiss considering the amount of money I will save.

Do hope to get a reply by tomorrow else I will stay up late into the night and give them a call.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
05-22-2014, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth, I've been running Driftworks CS2 coilovers for a couple of years now. Whilst I thought the setup was very nice for performance initially, since taking them on more harsh roads (even on the softest damper setting) I have come to the conclusion that they're not quite right for my type of use and I'm looking to go for something softer.

They're an 8kg/6kg setup and I would like to swap them out for maybe 6/4. I would be interested to know what you settle on and how good they are.
05-22-2014, 11:47 PM
This is Jakes car in Hawaii...
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Suspension Opinions - Please vote!]
The car height is the out of the box setting as recommended by
Shockworks. Its on 15" wheels with 195/50 front and 205/50 rear tires.
So far he has not driven the car in anger, as he has been busy with work.
Around town set on two click from full soft. it handles manhole covers and
speed bumps better than stock suspension, and better than the Tein
coilovers (8/6kg/mm) he had before. He says that the appearance and
quality of the Shockworks product is impressive.

Brett can be difficult to contact by email, as Shockworks do a lot of
contract suspension development work, which takes him away from the
office. A phone call might be quicker.

And a small disclaimer. I don't have any connection with Shockworks other
than being a potential customer. I have looked at many other suspension
options and ruled them out for various reasons. Shockworks are the first
suspension manufacturer I came across that had designed and engineered
a quality suspension specifically for the AE86. And for me, being next door
means that advice and backup is close at hand.

Cheers... jondee86
05-23-2014, 07:26 AM
(05-22-2014 11:47 PM)jondee86 Wrote:  Shockworks are the first suspension manufacturer I came across that had designed and engineered a quality suspension specifically for the AE86.
Cheers... jondee86

This is one of the reasons I considered and appreciate you mentioning them. Matter of fact I just got off the phone with Brett - had a nice 15min chat with him. Looks like I'll give this a shot and if all goes well will have a set fitted to my car by the end of next month. Hurray!

Will let you guys all know how it turns out.

@NoHachi: they have their own shockdyno and will supply the graphs with the dampers.

AE86 ex-daily

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metal removal at rear, opinions 4000GT 43 42,225 01-03-2013 03:28 AM
Last Post: 4000GT
  Full coilover set G4 - opinions? El_Camino 5 6,277 04-02-2008 04:43 AM
Last Post: F0Bman
  Opinions on Tein coilovers for AE86..... peter møller 5 8,099 05-04-2007 10:17 AM
Last Post: peter møller