Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'
06-23-2014, 05:54 PM
(06-23-2014 05:32 PM)Project D Wrote:  I see the informations I gave you a years ago have been usefull Tongue
For the 14 pin plug you can buy another 18 pin plug and cut 1 row on each side.
You obtain something like that:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']
indeed, good idea for the 14pin in case they can't source it. I wasn't planing on getting them, changed my plans a few times. after all that happens this seems to be the best solution. even if it means a lot more work, I hate wiring.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Hopefully your grp4 traction brackets fit better than mine. Eventually I got them to work, but I had to hog out 2 of the sleeves/spacers so the included bolts could pass through them, widen the space between the mounting plates so the control arm could actually fit because it was a few mm too narrow (broke out the big hammer), and finally trim 2 of the sleeves so they could fit between the mounting plates at the control arm connection because they were too long.

Luckily, from your picture it looks like at least 2 of these issues you won't have to deal with.
Find all posts by this user
06-23-2014, 07:22 PM
(06-23-2014 06:29 PM)Deuce Cam Wrote:  Hopefully your grp4 traction brackets fit better than mine. Eventually I got them to work, but I had to hog out 2 of the sleeves/spacers so the included bolts could pass through them, widen the space between the mounting plates so the control arm could actually fit because it was a few mm too narrow (broke out the big hammer), and finally trim 2 of the sleeves so they could fit between the mounting plates at the control arm connection because they were too long.

Luckily, from your picture it looks like at least 2 of these issues you won't have to deal with.

I'll find out on Wednesday. Hopefully I don't forget to take plenty of pictures and post them here. I also plan to make a full review of the coilovers, this will take some time though as I need to play with the settings and that needs time.

AE86 ex-daily
06-24-2014, 03:39 PM
just a quick teaser, more to come after tomorrow once everything is fitted.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']

AE86 ex-daily
06-25-2014, 05:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2014 05:36 PM by Bean.)
rears are fitted along with the panhard, no pictures yet as I was pressed in time as I had to go to work and the workshop was busier than expected. Will try and fit the front and traction brackets on Sunday, if the workshop has a spare lift then and take photos.
So far everything (springs incl. adjustable perch, dampers and panhard) fitted perfectly, set it to the suggested height in the instruction and there's about 30mm between the top of the tire (185/55R14) and the lip of the fender. Panhard is almost level. Might lower it a wee bit more once the fronts are fitted. Feels so far is not bad but too early to tell (still got a pair of wheels in the boot and the old rear setup and new fronts on the back seat).

Once everything is fitted and I'm happy the old (still working) setup will be for sale Wink

PS: found out that my alternator is sucking my battery dry so guess I'll need to get a new one or have mine fixed, probably the former as mine is 30 years old and around here the don't refurbish them. So go buy my old suspension setup to fund the alternator.

AE86 ex-daily
06-26-2014, 06:57 PM
Murphy's law at it's very best. A long time ago (April 16th) a parcel has been sent from Luxembourg to me containing my spare engine loom. As it seemed to be long lost by the post office I started to buy the individual plugs (see few posts up). I almost forgot about it's existence until I found a note in the post box today to pick it up! 10 weeks after it was due to arrive.

AE86 ex-daily
06-30-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 12:20 PM by Bean.)
fitted the front suspension today along with new wheel bearings.
still need to adjust the height properly (front left is a bit lower than the rest) and fix the fenders, so I can do a proper test drive.
Right now it's scraping like crazy, already did before the swap due to the wider tires.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'] [Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']

AE86 ex-daily
06-30-2014, 05:46 PM
(06-26-2014 06:57 PM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  Murphy's law at it's very best. A long time ago (April 16th) a parcel has been sent from Luxembourg to me containing my spare engine loom. As it seemed to be long lost by the post office I started to buy the individual plugs (see few posts up). I almost forgot about it's existence until I found a note in the post box today to pick it up! 10 weeks after it was due to arrive.

You must be on the Israeli none gratus list or something.....

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
Find all posts by this user
06-30-2014, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2014 05:58 PM by Bean.)
(06-30-2014 05:46 PM)oldeskewltoy Wrote:  
(06-26-2014 06:57 PM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  Murphy's law at it's very best. A long time ago (April 16th) a parcel has been sent from Luxembourg to me containing my spare engine loom. As it seemed to be long lost by the post office I started to buy the individual plugs (see few posts up). I almost forgot about it's existence until I found a note in the post box today to pick it up! 10 weeks after it was due to arrive.

You must be on the Israeli none gratus list or something.....
If they indeed do have such a list I think it includes at least half the population. Some countries just suck when it comes to postal services. Honestly that's not very surprising considering what individuals in that lone of work earn.
Even TNT charged me nearly $70 just for paperwork.

PS: Globetrotter would only be half the fun without all this hick-ups and stories.

AE86 ex-daily
07-05-2014, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2014 12:22 PM by Bean.)
Did a slightly more elaborated write up on msextra regarding adding bluetooth to DIYPNP or a Microsquirt module in general. This solutions avoids using a converter to return the original TTL signals from the processor that have been converted to use with the RS323 back to TTL for the Bluetooth dongle. This adds to these previous posts of mine.

(06-12-2014 11:02 AM)Bean Bandit Wrote:  Tiny update, as I still haven't found a garage to do proper work on my car, I dug out my DIYPNP from the boxes.
Got the Bluetooth dongle installed and working. Also fitted a small switch to the casing so I can turn it of when connecting by cable or not in use.
No stim attached or any sensors apart from air temperature. And yes it is that hot in my office.

On my next trip to Switzerland I'll bring back some wiring and start with the custom harness.

Next update will be part pictures and suspension install, after more than a month the first parcel turned up (I despise local customs office and bureaucracy).
Thanks again Dan for your help!

(06-12-2014 03:58 PM)Ivan141 Wrote:  That just a straight serial to bluetooth adapter? Nifty...

my post on msextra forum Wrote:
mattheripper Wrote:
Bean Bandit Wrote:If you have a Microsquirt module you can tap into the TTL signals on there. It's a bit fiddly but worked for me. The two pins on the chip are broken out about a third inch away (don't have the schematics at hand nor remember the pins by heart).
I also installed a switch to cut the power to the Bluetooth module, although as long as I didn't connect through both ways simultaneously there was no errors.

Is it easy to spot the U6 when I open the case up again? Or could you look at these schematics and highlight where it is for me?
http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/module.html
It's not from U6 but pin 38&39 of the CPU. I'll take a better picture later and post it here.

In addition to your link here the CPU schematic http://www.msextra.com/doc/general/micro...chems.html
On this picture http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/image...2.2_lg.jpg you can see U5 (read the PS below) in the top right and both injector drivers next to the 10 pin header on mid left. Also visible the two traces breaking out pin 38 and 39 on the CPU.

click for bigger version
Yellow cable goes from PS1/TXD on the microsquirt to RX on the Bluetooth side.

PS: BTW U6 (and U7) on the Microsquirt module are the injector drivers. The TTL to RS323 converter is U5 and located in the corner at the beginning of the 50 pin breakout pins and also has it's own GND, +5V and Tx,Rx breakout pins next to it (these Tx,Rx breakout points are after being processed by U5 - on a non DIYPNP board the DB9 connector would be attached there).

More news, finally dropped off the car at my friends place to get the fenders fixed. This hopefully will be done within a week or two. Here some pictures to be to have a before and after comparison of fenders and ride height. Here goes:

05/2009 HTS dampers fitted for sure but not sure if I already had the APEX springs then or still original - must have been really busy as I couldn't find a single pic of the installation or a receipt.
fast forward 07/2014, new Shockworks Coilovers and wheels - just before fender works starts

and here two pictures of the new stance in the back before it'll be all covered up

AE86 ex-daily