what shocks/struts to buy?
02-23-2006, 03:26 AM
I want to know what short stroke shocks/struts are out there for the ae86. I really don't know how to modify these things, so it will have to fit unmodified.

Wouldn't hurt if they were adjustible. Cool

Might need some of those since i just bought Espelir ASD springs for my 86 Cool

Jón Mar

"T3 is good. I'd go with them. And they're red. Red goes faster..."

'87 AE86 3dr - Black
'87 AE86 3dr - Red
'88 AE92 5dr GTi - Black

'95 ST205 - Red - sold
Find all posts by this user
02-23-2006, 04:54 AM
If the espelir springs lower the car much, you might have to shorten the struts..or else you will be left with no remaining bump travel..

If you still don't want to shorten: go with some tokico blues..dirt cheap..adjusted just right for most springs and saves you money for when you find out how to do shortened struts and change.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
02-23-2006, 08:43 AM
Espelir + tokico HP sounds about right....those espelir springs dont lower the car dramatically I think, and the spring rates arent very high afaik. If you want to stick with regular length shocks and have some real performance you might as well buy Koni yellows.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2006, 09:27 AM
i want short stroke, but i know they area out there available. So there must be shocks out there that i can fit without modifications.

How about Koni adjustibles, are they available short stroke?

Really don't care how much i spend, just want it done the propper way.

Jón Mar

'87 AE86 3dr - Black
'87 AE86 3dr - Red
'88 AE92 5dr GTi - Black

'95 ST205 - Red - sold
02-23-2006, 09:35 AM
Yes, you can get AE92 front shock inserts...those can be used as short strokes, and also have the advantage of being able to adjust them with a knob at the top (the ae86 ones need to be taken out and pressed all the way in to adjust them so you cant change it easily).
I dont think those espelir springs will be of much use with that kind of lowering though. Get yourself some coilovers for the front...

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:Yes, you can get AE92 front shock inserts...those can be used as short strokes, and also have the advantage of being able to adjust them with a knob at the top (the ae86 ones need to be taken out and pressed all the way in to adjust them so you cant change it easily).
I dont think those espelir springs will be of much use with that kind of lowering though. Get yourself some coilovers for the front...

Well. The plan is T3 coilovers in the front, and TRD in the back.

At least this is the beginning and is probably way better than my 19 year old stock springs. + i think i got the quite cheap Smile

So i can use ae92 koni shocks in the front?

Can somebody make guidelines with pics how to modify shocks to short stroke? And also what fits what, and whatnot Big Grin

Jón Mar

'87 AE86 3dr - Black
'87 AE86 3dr - Red
'88 AE92 5dr GTi - Black

'95 ST205 - Red - sold
02-23-2006, 04:54 PM
Have a look in the tech reference on Club4AG, there is a good write-up about short stroke conversions on there. The ae92 shocks will be easy to find I think...and koni shocks are pretty good if you ask me. I think you can also use MR2 SW20 shock absorbers in the front..but I dont know if its are the fron or rear shocks that you need in that case. You'll need some more spacers inside the strut with ae92 shocks because those have a shorter body.

T3 sells ground control coilover kits afaik. Good stuff, but pricy. Paradise racing also sells nice coilover perches at a nice price, but you'll have to be patient with the shipping since Luis is known to be a bit slow on that front sometimes.

Send Robokill a PM about those TRD springs...he has a couple himself and knows where to get them at reasonable prices.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
02-23-2006, 05:01 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:Have a look in the tech reference on Club4AG, there is a good write-up about short stroke conversions on there. The ae92 shocks will be easy to find I think...and koni shocks are pretty good if you ask me. I think you can also use MR2 SW20 shock absorbers in the front..but I dont know if its are the fron or rear shocks that you need in that case. You'll need some more spacers inside the strut with ae92 shocks because those have a shorter body.

T3 sells ground control coilover kits afaik. Good stuff, but pricy. Paradise racing also sells nice coilover perches at a nice price, but you'll have to be patient with the shipping since Luis is known to be a bit slow on that front sometimes.

Send Robokill a PM about those TRD springs...he has a couple himself and knows where to get them at reasonable prices.

I plan on going T3 up front later on, and also the TRDs. But these have to do it till then. You can't have all at once Smile

I've read the tech reference on Club4AG. Its pretty good i think. But what really worries me is how to assamble the whole thing back together. And isn't there some oil included in that prossess too? I've really never thought about shocks that much in the past.

Jón Mar

'87 AE86 3dr - Black
'87 AE86 3dr - Red
'88 AE92 5dr GTi - Black

'95 ST205 - Red - sold
02-23-2006, 10:53 PM
http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?ARCH...C_ID=66671

ok, by looking at this i understand this a bit better.

It would still be very nice if some of you experts could do a write-up on such things. I know many of you got the skills Thumbs up!

Jón Mar

'87 AE86 3dr - Black
'87 AE86 3dr - Red
'88 AE92 5dr GTi - Black

'95 ST205 - Red - sold
02-23-2006, 11:06 PM
robokill has good source for trd springs?

i am curios about spring rates and uncompressed lenght of this spring.
can i use also the ae92 rear shocks?
what about kayaba agx? had anyone experience with them?

too much questions. thanks

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rear bilstein B6 shocks 2 types what to choose? Ryo 5 3,012 07-25-2021 04:41 AM
Last Post: Bean
  KONI Sports shocks for the AE86... jondee86 11 20,185 09-08-2017 03:38 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Camber adjustment vs original struts Lt86 9 9,114 05-07-2015 09:45 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Question about KONI shocks for an AE92 Apsogos 1 3,998 09-13-2013 07:40 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Q, BMW E30/E36 front struts for a fit? Allexz 7 8,405 03-18-2013 11:18 AM
Last Post: Lajoosh