Newbie here
09-21-2006, 01:45 AM
Newbie here
Hi, Wave
I have been given a E reg Toyota corolla GT twincam 1.6 RWD by my father. Its all original and in silver over grey, even the spare tyre hasn't been used Big Grin
It was bought locally new in 1987 by my father and has covered 52.000 miles since. The bodywork is in general good condition but there are a few rust spots starting on the arches front and rear and one minor one on the sunroof panel itself.
Is it possible to get replacement panels for these motors as I know they were even rare when the car was new.

thanks in advance for any help Paul
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-21-2006, 07:48 AM
Newbie here
Hey Paul,

You lucky B***Big Grin hehe, Show us some pics Big Grin

The arches are harder and harder to find new allthough good nick front ones do pop up in the second hand market from time to time and occasionally new panels do pop up from old stock. You can always ask your local Toyota dealer, I'm not 100% sure but I do think the front ones may still be possible to be ordered but expect them to be expensive. You can also get fiberglass ones from Irishtwincam on this board which is a nice alternative (never rusts againBig Grin).

For the rear the original panels are sold out. We get very lucky occasionally and have one popup on ebay from time to time from old stock but basically you can't get originals. There is a guy on here in Ireland that sells full reproduction panels but they are expensive and depending on the amount of rust you have they may be overkill so put up some pics so we can judge the best course of action.

Most people just cut out the rust and either use fiberglass and filler (but that dont work in the long run), have a pannel beater hand make a replacement part or they use an arch from a starlet or golf or something similar and weld that in. The starlet ones usually fit very nicely.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Newbie here
Wanna sell it? Hurray!
09-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Newbie here
Welcome! Wave

My god you're lucky! We wanna see pics! Smile

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Newbie here]
09-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Newbie here
Welcome! Wave
Not many people can say they got their hachi from the first owner, and even less can say their dad is the first owner. Damn luck! Big Grin Big Grin
And ofcourse we want to see pics. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
09-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Newbie here
rallyman1978 Wrote:Wanna sell it? Hurray!

sorry....not a chance Smile

Thanks for the warm welcome..I'll get some pics at the weekend coz its at dads and at present, he's still running to the shops in it (its now a second car). When he's done with it, i'm gonna take it off the road and do all that needs sorting (its only the bodywork that needs attention, and then not too extensive)
Everywhere my ole man goes, he gets stopped by folk wanting to know what it is or whether he's selling Smile

I actually went on the test drive with him. about 5 miles from the dealers, we swapped places and I gave it some...as you do Smile ...I was hooked from that day forward. I even chose the number plate off the dealers list coz one day he said it would be mine

Dad paid £10200 cash way back in '87. Recon he's still got the bill of sale too...somewhere :wink:

I drove it a couple of weeks ago, first time in years. Its still well rapid Thumbs up!
The brakes feel a little wooden compared with new stuff but the engine and box are as sweet as when they came from the factory Yummie!

well got to go for now coz i'm at work at 6

catch ya later and thanks for the info

Paul
09-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Newbie here
I bet you're dads' pretty proud he can say he's got a 20+ year old Toyota that he can probably sell for more then he paid for it new Big Grin Only Ferrari and Lambourgini owners can say the same lol

Brakes sound like they could use some new fluids and lines and maybe some uprated pads and they'll feel just like new Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-23-2006, 05:36 PM
Newbie here
As requested. The general condition ain't that bad...its just a few minor places

and now the bad bits

09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Newbie here
If those are the only bad bits you should have that fixed in no time.

In the sell section there's a guy selling good condition front wings at the moment so that might be interesting for you. The sunroof may be more difficult because those tent to all show rot, then again maybe you could get lucky and order one from Toyota? Or get a nice fiberglassy oneBig Grin

Your car looks fab mate!

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Newbie here
Damn, thats niiiiiice. Is it as good condition inside as it is on the out?

lucky bastard. :-)

Always remember: Rev it till it blows, then back off a bit...
Zenkis - Orange, Red/Black, Silver/Black, Maroon/Blue
Koukis - Red, Silver/Gray,

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie 20valver 7 1,792 04-20-2024 01:14 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Newbie DMC 4 929 02-29-2024 05:11 PM
Last Post: livelaughlevin
  new guy here. The Azn 6 6,090 06-03-2018 06:29 PM
Last Post: Hama86
  Newbie from Germany Mabrodat 14 13,697 07-10-2017 10:48 AM