Solex and mikuni question
05-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Hey I've got here something i'm interested in buying..would it be worth it and how much more do i need to make this setup work on my hi-comp redtop?

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Solex and mikuni question]

I'm in the us,anyone know where I can get these refurbished or something at least make it worth while?
Find all posts by this user
05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
hi i have just put some on my blue top. you need a fuel pressure regulator, an adapter so you can put the carbs on one side and bolt that to the engine. then some ignition, a timing computer and a tach adapter. well that's the way i have done it anyway.

my advice would be to work out how much it's all gonna cost. there ain't much difference in the final price of rebuilding the engine with carbs on and rebuilding it with itb's on.
05-25-2007, 11:59 AM
faz Wrote:Hey I've got here something i'm interested in buying..would it be worth it and how much more do i need to make this setup work on my hi-comp redtop?

Stock carbs of 2T-G engine (TE71)...

IMHO it's not worth it... not much power (2T-G produces with them pretty lazy 115 KS), and hard as hell to setup them right.
IMHO 4AGE stock EFI is much better then Mikuni-Solex solution.

Weber 45mm would be different story, and if you can get your hands on them... :wink:

Pics of carbs from my friends TE71

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Toyota scrap yard car park = AE92GTi - AE82GT - KE30 - KP62
05-25-2007, 01:11 PM
meshin, 2TG is 8-valve engine, why do you compare it directly with 16-valve numbers ?
IMHO no way for stock 4AGE EFI to produce more torque (or power) than 40s sidedraughts except wrong carb. setup.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
jamiemirror Wrote:meshin, 2TG is 8-valve engine, why do you compare it directly with 16-valve numbers ?

I didn't compare it directly to 4AGE ... Wink I just said what power produces on 2TG.

jamiemirror Wrote:IMHO no way for stock 4AGE EFI to produce more torque (or power) than 40s sidedraughts except wrong carb. setup.

I wasn't talking about any 40mm sidedrafts carbs... I was directly talking about this ones.

With this Mikuni-Solex carbs I and my friend are playing now for a couple months and we both don't like them. On 4AGE it could make more peak power and tourqe then 4AGE EFI if it's setuped right (wich is hard as hell), but my opinion is that with EFI setup you would get much better usable power / tourqe bandwith... and it's a lot easier.

Weber 40 or 45 would be much better solution and different story... and if you want 4AGE carbs that's the best way IMHO Smile

05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
ouh..okay.Hrm..well I was just getting some information first before I actually consider buying a carb setup.I don't want to have to tamper with it so much..So maybe AE101/111 tb's might be a better solution I guess..Thanks guys.But please keep the info coming..I have two engines one redtop and the bluetop currently in the 86.THanks.
05-26-2007, 01:07 AM
meshin i dont think you are correct.. there is no chance that a properly setup mikunis 40 produce less torque/power than the stock motor.. As i've read they work just about as any 40mm carbs out there, when properly setup.. but hey its carbs.. they have to be.

And carbs are a lot cheaper solution than ITBs, where you need a standalone ecu, which is not cheap and sped even more money to properly set it up.. imo there is no cheaper torque/power for a 4age than carbs.
05-26-2007, 01:08 AM
bte, there was a comprehensive topic about carbs for 4age on this board. better look that up. Loads of useful information.
05-26-2007, 02:19 AM
Apolan Wrote:meshin i dont think you are correct.. there is no chance that a properly setup mikunis 40 produce less torque/power than the stock motor..

I wasn't saying that... Wink Probably it would produce more, but peak power isn't everything Smile

05-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Apolan Wrote:bte, there was a comprehensive topic about carbs for 4age on this board. better look that up. Loads of useful information.

trust me.I have.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mikuni carb help just wont balance megabob 3 4,998 01-01-2013 10:32 PM
Last Post: allencr
  max brake disc thickness ae86 caliper+heel and toe question ditn 26 25,864 10-02-2012 05:00 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Urgent Levin hood question... measurements and weight Okami 8 13,744 03-15-2011 11:36 PM
Last Post: Gtsi-R
  4age Smallport o2 sensor and knock sensor question hachirokuGTV 4 10,268 02-02-2011 09:50 AM
Last Post: hachirokuGTV
  Weber ram pipe on mikuni carb megabob 2 4,311 12-05-2010 03:43 PM
Last Post: Project D