1st rust sighting inside and some distortion
05-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Hey,excuse my post counts, i browse more often then i do post.Still i am new,so i apologize for any noobie-ness right now. Just about starting my build.Slowly but surely I hope.Was tearing the interior apart.And I found a couple of worrying rust and a slight weird distortion if you could say i guess.

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - 1st rust sighting inside an...distortion]
My hatch itself,its around the corner on the bottom side when i close it.The rust is building up. ^

This picture shows the mounting hole for the driver's seat.Its a little bent out of shape.I got it this way.Can it be fixed?Nicely that is.^
This is the rear, where the top half of the rear seats go,but there's rust build up,can it be fixed without cutting?Should I be worried about it?^
THis is the same shot of the rear but closer.There is some on the right side behind the driver's side i mean but not as severe.^

THis is a slow project cause of monetary issues and i'm having acl reconstruction surgery soon.(8th).So I'm just looking for advice.I'm not in a hurry.Oh yeah,my friend he welds..so he's planning on helping me out.
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
The rust in those last two pictures is something you should worry about, looks like it's coming out from underneath the panel (as it does on my car too), so you'll have a hard time getting it cleaned up properly without it popping up a year later. Remove the rear interior panels while your at it, the rear wheelwells are nasty rusting places on ae86's.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Mine has that tooSad

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
05-04-2007, 11:10 PM
alright.I'll strip it down to the bone and update later with pics and ask again for more advice.But what about that mounting hole?I have a clearer picture but i'll upload later.I'll let you guys know.Thanks.
05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I cant really figure out the big picture on that mounting hole, although it looks similar to what I just fixed on my own hachi. On mine the rear left mounting was broken, the nut that was welded to it was torn out with a bit of the bracket's metal, so it was completely loose. I welded the nut back in, then grinded all the welds flat and welded another 1mm thick reinforcement plate over it to help spread pulling force on the bracket a bit better. Get us a better picture and I'm sure we can give you some more ideas.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-06-2007, 11:57 PM
sorry good sir,here's a clearer picture of it.

I was thinking of cutting around the area and making a new one or have one made,then weld it back.after i take all the tar/sound deadening stuff off.BUt I'm not sure if thats ok or not.What do you guys think?
05-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Zoom out a littleSmile

Hard to recognize where it isSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Mux213 Wrote:Zoom out a littleSmile

Hard to recognize where it isSmile
It is (I guess from previous posts) the mounting of the driverseat. Wink

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
05-07-2007, 06:26 PM
If I we're to hazard a guess, I'd say this is the left rear mount (near transmission tunnel) of the passenger seat (or drivers seat for rhd cars).
It's the exact same thing that happened to my left rear drivers seat mount. The bit that got torn out should still be attached to the seat rail if you're lucky.. I would hammer the bits back up so they are a bit straighter again, then weld the torn out bit back in with butt-welds on every crack you notice.. then grind it flat and weld another reinforcement plate over it with a hole drilled out in the middle so the bolt can pass through. The nut is only stressed when it is being pulled upwards, since the rest of the mount takes the downward forces. Putting an extra plate over the mount is a good way of spreading the load on that tired old mount.

If you've lost the old nut, then you'll need to find yourself another steel nut with the correct thread, clean up that hole, and weld the nut underneath a reinforcement plate, then weld that over the broken mount. This will raise your seat by the thickness of the plate that you use, but it will not break again as easily (and I dont even notice the 1,5 mm on my car).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
05-08-2007, 05:04 AM
Okay,I'll try to do that.Still trying to take it apart but its a bit hard cause I don't have the time.Not to mention I have surgery tomorrow.Will be out service for a while.Sorry mux213,thats the best i got.Sorry guys about the quality,i only have my cameraphone.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inside of front wheel touches frame rails during drifting bozu 3 1,606 06-09-2022 04:51 PM
Last Post: Project D
  Rust in trunk AnthonyStallone 11 13,536 02-18-2015 06:23 PM
Last Post: Bean
  4age 16v 1st and 2nd generation cams and not only difference Apsogos 3 7,392 09-16-2013 08:24 AM
Last Post: Apsogos
  Popup lights problem :( Video inside OtomiX 5 5,518 07-19-2010 09:57 AM
Last Post: irishtwincam
  Rust removal totta Crolla 9 9,025 02-02-2009 10:27 AM
Last Post: S.K.