Alternator probs?
07-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Alternator probs?
Guys,

On my way home today (about a 1,5 hour drive through the 35 degree heatwave we are having at the moment) I noticed that my battery warning light has come on, and flashed on&off a bit during accelerating etc.

Now from what I know that is usually the mark of a fried alternator(dynamo for the dutch guys). Any quick ideas/tips from guys with experience would be greatly appreciated.
I checked the battery connections, they where ok, the drivebelt was also correctly tightened and intact. No weird noises, no weird smells...just a warning light gone disco on my dash. I need this fixed ASAP so all advice is welcome.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Alternator probs?
Hmm...just checked charge voltage with my multimeter...10volts...
Looks like I'll have to find myself a new alternator in one day Sad

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-21-2006, 07:15 PM
Alternator probs?
I had problem with my one Ivan and I must say I changed everithing on it until came to the problem.

First - you should give it a try with new brushes. They are pretty cheap - like less than 1€ and after 23 years of driving most probably gone.

Second - it is pretty easy do open the alternator. Usually inside you will see the electonics - it as a simple plate with some diods (hope not wrong here). They can be tested one by one with multimeter.

The problem on my one was exactly there. One of them was loose. Unfortunalelly they cannot be fixed, cause they are pressed in the metal. A new plate was 15€ in Bulgaria - I dont believe it should be very expencive in Holland, if you find it Dumb question .

Some other japanese have the same modul, so you better go to look with it in the hand, than by the model of the car.

It is also an option to put exterlnal electronics (sorry, dont know the exact name) but you have to be carefull, because japanese cars are controling the charging with the + instead the -, which is the case with the cheap european alternatives.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
07-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Alternator probs?
I'll have a look when it's out.. shouldnt be too hard to change some diodes over, although I dont know what you mean when you say they're stamped to the metal, cant be SMD electronics for those high power applications, but I'll see soon enough.

I'll see if I can quickly find a replacement alternator because I really need my car next week. Mux had a spare so we'll see if we can work something out.

I wonder what killed the alternator...could it be the temperatures under the hood?

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
07-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Alternator probs?
It is pretty easy to change... btw. now I remember how I was ermergency driving my AE86, when the alternator was gone!
We just put + from the batery to it, to charge the whole time, then put a load between, so it dont overcharges it - a simple 12V bulb.

These diods ... sorry, that I dont know the right name, but I believe thay cannot be changed, because they are part of this plate - welded or coated with something to it and at the and one whole piece.

My one died in the late summer of 2005. Maybe the heat, but I would say after 22 years, it has done its job alreadySmile.

"..el camino's aren't supposed to make sense, craziness is what makes the world go around." - Car & Driver, 1984
07-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Alternator probs?
Hey Ivan, check my project page on the dutch corolla club web site for my experiences with repairing my alternator...

To summarize: Repairing costs losts of money, new or refurbished by dealer costs slight LESS money but still very much and getting one from the scrapyard is cheap as hell.

edit: link to my project page: http://www.corollaforum.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14069
Find all posts by this user
07-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Alternator probs?
One more comment: You can probably use an alternator of any period toyota. It would be nice to go for one of a diesel engine since those are usually slightly heavier.

There is however one problem: The diesel engines have V-belt and you probably have a "multiribriem" I asked the guy at my local garage to swap the "poulies" (belt wheels?) but you end up with the thicker "multiribriem poulie" grinding off some aluminium of the alternator... After 10 mins of running the engine this is fine however and you can be pleased with yet another upgrade of your old car :-)
07-22-2006, 12:08 AM
Alternator probs?
Upgrade? Heavier alternator would mean more parasitic drag and less hp..If the std alternator is fine, then i would stick with that..

Second...running a car consumes almost no energy...running the lights, stereo etc does..So it is no problem at all to drive around the whole day and then charge the battery during the evening at home..Not exacty a handy way of doing things, but an alternative if you have no other quick options..
I drove around like this for a week..

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
07-22-2006, 01:47 AM
Alternator probs?
hey Ivan,

Sorry didn't have time to talk on the phone today, I should have a working altenator in the shed somewhere, maybe it does the trickSmile

In the mean while, keep that battery hooked up to a charger over night.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
07-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Alternator probs?
NoHachi Wrote:Upgrade? Heavier alternator would mean more parasitic drag and less hp..If the std alternator is fine, then i would stick with that..

Second...running a car consumes almost no energy...running the lights, stereo etc does..So it is no problem at all to drive around the whole day and then charge the battery during the evening at home..Not exacty a handy way of doing things, but an alternative if you have no other quick options..
I drove around like this for a week..

True of course, upgrade only if you want to have a large audio installation which neither Ivan nor I have...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20v swap alternator izanagi 3 4,857 12-15-2016 01:11 PM
Last Post: pack
  probs installing Battle Version #2 kit, please help cj 10 14,295 11-28-2012 03:25 PM
Last Post: Bean
  85 amp alternator? heshan 4 7,497 06-12-2012 08:03 PM
Last Post: heshan
  Help! Lost tachometer, water t. gauge, alternator wont charg Saber 9 12,273 05-21-2012 08:06 PM
Last Post: Saber
  AE86 Alternator Snejk 5 6,565 09-25-2009 03:18 PM
Last Post: Snejk