Banpeis project
09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
Banpeis project
You sure you were working on the right bolts? Usually only the bolts holding the brake saddle in place are on that tight. Also a valuable lesson learned: never use a ratchet to undo bolts that need lots of force to get loose. Best thing to use is the solid bar that often comes in ratchet kits (on which you can use ordinary sockets), or a ring-ended wrench. Then slide a longer piece of pipe over that (the breaker-bar) and you can use mucho force to get the bolt off. I still remember me and my brother using a 2 meter long bit of exhaust piping to get some bolts loose on the volvo.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Banpeis project
Ivan141 Wrote:You sure you were working on the right bolts? Usually only the bolts holding the brake saddle in place are on that tight. Also a valuable lesson learned: never use a ratchet to undo bolts that need lots of force to get loose. Best thing to use is the solid bar that often comes in ratchet kits (on which you can use ordinary sockets), or a ring-ended wrench. Then slide a longer piece of pipe over that (the breaker-bar) and you can use mucho force to get the bolt off. I still remember me and my brother using a 2 meter long bit of exhaust piping to get some bolts loose on the volvo.
Yep. They are the right bolts: large bolt (12) at the bottom of the caliper.

Unfortunately I didn't have anything but the ratchet in my kit. I did have a set of "pijpsleutels" but the right size was gone: 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 and 15 were all there. So apparently 12 was gone to somewhere unknown... Undecided
I definetly need better tools than this. Angry

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Banpeis project]
09-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Banpeis project
Banpei, tools are the bizzznessSmile

Just run off to the local gamma and get your self a size 12 ring wrench, the are only euro anythings. Also get some WD40 and really soak the bolt in it a couple of times, that usually helps..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Banpeis project
yo ban keep it up Tongue you btw interested in a new shelf ???? i am building one caus mine is busted if your interested pm me ok

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Banpeis project
Okay, this is stupid:
I recharged the battery for 24hours. Mux came over here tonight and suggested we should try starting the car just to be sure. We put the battery in the car. Lights worked perfectly, console lights were lit but the car wouldn't start and only make half a revolution while starting. Mux started to frown by now...

Then we put Mux his battery in the car and it made a huge spark because we didn't bolt the battery in and the bolt made contact with something else (probably the starter-relay). Then the second time it just started perfectly without hesitating.

Turns out the battery is charging just up to a level which is still okay for everything in the car except to start it. This is sooooo stupid. Banging head

First thing to do in the morning is to get a new battery and drive the car as much as I can! Thumbs up! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray! Hurray!

09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Banpeis project
Hehehehe, sure was stupid alright, here we were thinking the starter had given out because it had been acting all bad for awhile before it finally died... turns out it was the battery that was the cause of it all along... offcourse when a battery gets older it just doesn't charge fully anymore. Everything in your car works fine if it still gives out 8 or 10 volts or something, but you need all 12 volts to get the car spinningSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

09-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Banpeis project
24 hours ?
The reference is ~10 hours at the 1/10 of the capacity. I.e. if you have 55Ah - charge at 5.5A for 10hours. The battery can be overcharged - this is not good !
09-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Banpeis project
jamiemirror Wrote:24 hours ?
The reference is ~10 hours at the 1/10 of the capacity. I.e. if you have 55Ah - charge at 5.5A for 10hours. The battery can be overcharged - this is not good !
This charger was slow-charge. The charger indicated 20h - 24h charging so I followed directions of the charger. Wink

Bought a new battery this morning and I'm going to put it in the hachi tonight. Smile

10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Banpeis project
Battery has been changed and I've driven the car the whole saturday. Hurray!

Good news: after cleaning it out on friday evening the car was a lot better than before and my GF likes it much better now. Smile

She still thinks the suspension needs to be changed which I also agree upon. For normal driving it is way too stiff (speedbumps suck with it), however taking highspeed turns on the highway is a lot more fun than with the mitsu. With the mitsu I always have to be below the reccomended speed and with the hachi I drove with ease 10 to 20 km/h higherthan reccomended without her even noticing: she still told me the car cornered much smoother than the mitsu. Big Grin

10-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Banpeis project
Good to hear banpei...

We'll get the suspension set a bit softer in the near future so your girlfriend will complain a little less. You don't need such hard suspension anyways for what you use the car forSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij