Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter'
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
back to an old problem - once a gain my starter refuses to function... did it yesterday evening - solved by hitting it briefly with the brakerbar... got home tried to start again few minutes ago - nothing - hit it again still nothing.

I did that lovely job now twice already. Both times I removed the starter completely tested it on a spare battery according to the manual, put it back in without actually fixing anything but it worked. For exactly for one year...

Any ideas are welcome... for what's it worth - I can't source another alternator locally as there are no 4A engines around here except mine.

will see if it cures itself over the weekend - else I'll push start it to get to the garage on Monday to do the same game ones more - removing exhaust and header to get the starter out so I can put it back in after testing it without fixing anything Banging head

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Where are you now, Swiss or Khartoum?
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Khartoum, in Switzerland I wouldn't have any issues getting parts Wink

AE86 ex-daily
04-06-2012, 07:55 PM
too much sand inside your starter Tongue
04-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Project D Wrote:too much sand inside your starter Tongue

well it worked for a year and the last couple of months weren't real sandstorm season - this is still to come...
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Bean Bandits Levin 'Globetrotter']

luckily I have a spare car for this weekend - so I'm off to party now and will check into things on Monday.

just checked a few part numbers and it seems the housing is the only AE86 specific piece all the internal were wildly used across many old Toyotas which we have plenty here... so fingers crossed I might get a good/new one still Cool

AE86 ex-daily
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Do you hear anything?? Contacts, or absolute silence?

How tightly are the wires routed? How are the grounds? Do you have a jumper unit you can hook up to the engagement wire and see if it is that? Before complete removal you might get it to a point to check all the circuits for proper function

Often times tapping the case of a starter allows a better contact - things to check would be carbon contacts, and tensioning springs.

Dan -

You can |Sad .... OR you can ask for help!!!

OST Porting service - http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19991
04-06-2012, 08:12 PM
absolute silence, like the last two times, ground, wires everything ok... if you go back a few posts you'll see that every test was successful but wasn't working until I took it apart and put it back together without doing anything... anyway off now... but keep the ideas coming...

AE86 ex-daily
04-07-2012, 03:36 AM
I had that problem recently on a starter. Stopped working altogether tapping did nothing after having worked for a while. I took it apart and after figuring out how to disassemble the solenoids electro-magnet, I found that the coil wire end that 'grounds' by being smashed between the solenoid housing and coil/magnet assembly had broken.

Andrew
04-07-2012, 10:41 AM
assassin10000 Wrote:I had that problem recently on a starter. Stopped working altogether tapping did nothing after having worked for a while. I took it apart and after figuring out how to disassemble the solenoids electro-magnet, I found that the coil wire end that 'grounds' by being smashed between the solenoid housing and coil/magnet assembly had broken.

Andrew

I'll look into that, cheers for the tip

AE86 ex-daily
06-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Time for another update:

my starter is working again - (after taking it completly apart and refurbishing/cleaning it from A-Z).

meanwhile part of the pipe that joins the two water necks felt the urge to disintegrate and hence leak but replcment is underway and all should be good before the end of this month.

Now to the good part, in three weeks time I'm heading back to Switzerland for three weeks and if things go as planed I should have and early X-Mas and come back with a suitcase full of parts to finaly start on assembling my new engine. Currently waiting for my custom pistons to be finished and a spare crank to be delivered (so I wont need to open my current engine at all).

There will still be some delays later on as I'll need to order in things like bearings and lifter but can't do untill I know the right sizes.
Also some fabrication is needed like a plate to hold the COPs and I still need to get my arse in gear to make the moulds for the stacks and airbox.

So expect some picture galore in the next few months as I know you all prefer pictures Smile

AE86 ex-daily