Poll: Which strut is best for drifting?
Koni yellow
KYB GR-2
Tokico Blue
[Show Results]

Best drifting struts
06-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Best drifting struts
My trueno's suspension is shot to hell, with the front struts riding dry (stock oil struts, the oil all leaked out). I'm shopping around for a new pair and I'm curious as to what types are preferred for drifting. I hear koni yellows are really good, but I'm leaning a bit toward kyb gr-2s for now, since I don't have hardly any money. Tokico blues are another type I'm considering, but I don't know the differences and stuff. Also where should I buy them? (I'm in USA, if that changes anything)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Best drifting struts
You might consider KYB AGX's too, sportier then blues or Gp2, but cheaper then koni. I liked the blues on my brothers AE86 alot, but probably not the best for drifting. Also try and buy the fronts and rears as a set. Replacing just the fronts will result in an unbalanced car and probably understeer.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Best drifting struts
Ok, thanks for the help. Thumbs up! I'll take your advice on getting both front and rear at the same time. Do I need to get the same brand/set for front and back or does that matter? I have regular shocks in back instead of struts if that changes anything.
Where can I find AGX's for an ae86? I looked around a bit but didn't have any luck. Dumb question
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Best drifting struts
Also don't forget about Tokico HTS. Would also be cheaper for you then getting KONI Yellow over there in the states.

ps.. is this a tech question or drift topic... hmmm.. need to think about this, might yet deside to move this to tech Big Grin

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
06-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Best drifting struts
HTS is nice too, but well over double the price of the other setups (excl.koni)
AGX can be found in many places. Typing ae86 AGX into google resulted in many hits, check them out. I'm sure you'll find multiple vendors stocking them. They are not AE86 items though.. You need either AE92fronts or AW11 rears for the front and Camaro/ Mustang/Fiat argenta rears

06-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Best drifting struts
NoHachi,

True, but I've also read in many places that the adjustable AGX's are cheaper because their durability is lower. Though offcourse its hard to tell whether these are rumours or true..

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
06-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Best drifting struts
All those ones you listed are pretty poor, IMHO.

TRD make the best struts followed very closely by HTS. If you want to buy a strut that will last and be suitable for you no matter what level of drifting you aspire to do, the TRD or HTS are the only option.

Driftworks - JSPFab.com - DangerStyle - NightSpirit
06-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Best drifting struts
Jup, but neither of those are really suited for someone who has almost no money.

06-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Best drifting struts
Greddy type s !!!! Hurray!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Best drifting struts]
06-17-2007, 10:40 PM
Best drifting struts
not to spoil the fun.... but if i check ZAX he did everything on koni's and he can drift..... so i think it totally depends on what you want.

And to answer the question what the difrence is:

oil shocks will live longer and are restorable but less good in rebound because there is less "pressure"

While gas shocks are under pressure so rebound is very good but they don't last 10-20 years like koni's do. (koni's come with lifetime warranty)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drifting with stock power on the dry AshCampbell 47 56,676 05-23-2012 02:22 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  Best setup for drifting... Okami 68 87,233 01-19-2012 11:20 PM
Last Post: Okami
  Drifting Lelystad New Vid check bottom Okami 9 16,300 03-14-2011 10:47 PM
Last Post: Okami
  DRIFTING IN ROMANIA spawns 5 9,146 09-09-2010 01:32 PM
Last Post: spawns
  Best Drift Setup? - Newbie - driftboy84 12 34,206 08-12-2010 02:35 PM
Last Post: DRIFTMOTION