Camber plates
07-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Camber plates
Hi

I need new/used camberplates. Anyone got experience with the products from this "Silver Project" guy?

http://myworld.ebay.com/silver-project-p...4340.l2559

- Niels
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Camber plates
bump the question.
they are cheap and also look cheap machined lasercut steel plates with lathed bearing housing welded in. this is the cheapest way you could produce a camber plate. even though these parts will do the job. the real question is: what spherical bearing do they use. the most of the spherical bearings are designed to deal with radial loads but in this case they get high dynamic axial loads. in the exact direction the outer ring was squashed around the ball. this application needs special axial loadable bearing for it to withstand longer use. since these are rare, they are expensive and this expense is not reflected in the retail price of these camber tops. though i cuold be wrong. but i think these are cheap 2 piece plain bearings, non self lubricating steel on steel, a strong type that wont break but wont last long until they become loose.
im also interested in these, i want some reasonable priced, non fancy badged camber tops for street use.
its a shame theres no information provided on their website:
http://silverproject.pl/camber-plates-to...-p-44.html
08-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Camber plates
Just for info, I just had some AST topmounts in hand. New price 300€ per pair. These have been used for 2 years under a miata (very low radial forces compared to McPherson cars), never in the rain and maybe 2000km in total.

They were frozen completely solid. No movement left in them whatsoever. These are the expensive bearings that have had an easy life... you might be better of buying the cheap shit and just replace them every year. Either that or they need LOTS of maintenance and lubing. Dunno. Disappointing really.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
Find all posts by this user
08-13-2012, 10:49 AM
Camber plates
i asked their sales guy (i guess. i contacted them on fb) about their bearings. although i asked simple and straightfroward questions that he should be able to answer by hitting up the factory specification table of the bearings, i didnt get a straight answer to my quiestion. only 2 of them were replied: they use german made bearings (doesnt mean a thing really) and if the guy knows what hes talking about and i can believe in his words, the dynamic axial load rating is 30000N which is equivalent of 3059kg of shock load. this obviously is enough.
i didnt get reply for other properties like, sliding surface type, preload state, tolerance rating etc...
so what do we know: they wont break under normal use, wont cause accident.
long term durablity? noisiness? we dont know. but remember, you can switch the bearing in the plate to an expensive type later.
11-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Camber plates
forgot to tell i bought one set for my ke70. taking it in hand it felt nice and rigid. not overengineered thick. you can adjust the top all the way thats possible in an unmodified strut tower. im using it for like 3-4 months now, daily. so far so good. even if the bearing comes loose in another 4 months and i need to replace it, it still was a good investment i think.
12-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Camber plates
today i had to switch springs on my front suspension so i did a little checkup on the camberplates. after 4 months of daily (bit harsh) use and with a design where all the loads are transfered through the ball bearing, its still nice and stiff, i had to use a screw driver and force to move the ball around for re-greasing. i would say, its a bargain buy. i recommend it.
12-11-2012, 12:32 AM
Camber plates
I have Tein camber plates in my car since 2007. Many drift days, many track days, snow and rain. Still perfect...

AE86 GT - SR20DET BlackTop //// Trackday beater
Citroen C4 Coupe VTR - 1.6HDi //// Streetcar
12-11-2012, 03:07 AM
Camber plates
I´ve had some shitty small bearing ones in my corolla, after the bearing broke the first time I bought sealed bearings nice and new and it lasted, mayby one driftday?
Bought 2nd hand Teins for 100€ ever since no dramas.

Back to the ebay ones, we run those S13 ons (converted) in all of of drift Volvo 340/360, they never caused any problems and they get abused!

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Camber plates
Do these silver project plates need adjustment for fitting the standard suspension?
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Camber plates
I don't think so, my guess is that you can plug'n'play them and adjust until the OEM suspension allows you to adjust...

The springs are too large to fully adjust the camber in an oem suspension.

I must get a set of these!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is normal and low caster in Cusco camber plates?? T_AE86 9 14,741 01-07-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: Deuce Cam
  Camber adjustment vs original struts Lt86 9 9,095 05-07-2015 09:45 PM
Last Post: zenki
  back camber of CBY roiz86 5 8,119 03-24-2013 02:00 PM
Last Post: roiz86
  Camber Question? J-86 4 4,878 11-11-2012 10:41 PM
Last Post: J-86
  How to adjust camber on the front using standard adjustment? JDMitch 14 19,563 06-17-2011 04:55 PM
Last Post: Andrax