Disassemble rear axle
10-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Disassemble rear axle
No substitute for raw power...I always tend to be too gentle on the car, but these things can take a beating since they support half the car.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Yeah I'm the same way, always applying to little forceSmile

Still haven't got the axle off, I think I need a bigger hammerSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
10-19-2004, 01:51 AM
Disassemble rear axle
To Mux : to take the disc mud protector , you don't have to remove bearing. As it's said , that part is fixed with the four screw retaining axle .
But as i can see on pics , it's very rusty, you should try with thin screwdriver , but it looks so rusty. I get them down on my rallycar to get better cooling action. To remove axle ,you'll need to use a shock puller.
I don't Know if it's the right word , as my mother tongue is french.
AS it's an expensive part , i did one by myself. Taking a pipe tube about 1m long. Sold it to a old center rim(cutted from a 114,3 iron wheel of course) so you can bolt it to your axle. You 'll have now to find a heavy cylinder(1 or 2 kg) part(did it with a metal : lead melted in an iron cylinder about 15cm dia and 20cm long) which can slip
along pipe tube. You drill a hole a the opposite end of the pipe tube( opposite to the center wheel)and bolt a long screw(larger than the inner center of cylinder wheight). You'll have to fix a handle on cylinder weight .I don't know if it's very clear. It's a pitty i can't take a picture of my tool as i've 2 broken arms and it's to heavy for me to have it out of it's place.

You screw the rim center to your axle , firmly hold the handle and slam it to theupper screw ,whith NO Fingers in the way !!!!! And you'll see it will come easy out. It's sometime hard as the bearing are very long and often stuck with rust and dust.
When you'll take the LSD out , first to do is to open it as the stock one are so often broken ..
Hope this will help you . Have a good work
Save the RWD
Fil h

Filh
Save the RWD cars
10-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Disassemble rear axle
Hi FIlh,

Thanks for the info, I must say I am a bit unclear on the tool you've made. I did get the first axle out without to much trouble, its the second axle thats giving me a real hard timeSad

I do think that some sort of puller system is the way to go, I need to read up on that a bitSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
10-19-2004, 11:37 AM
Disassemble rear axle
It's called a slide-hammer I think. As filh described it, a metal pipe, welded to the center of a wheel so you can mount it on the hub. You then fit a heavy cilinder around the pipe and install some sort of handle on that (or a hook to attach a rope). When that's on you need to install a stopping plate (or screw like filh said). You then beat the cilindrical weight against the stopping plate and the resulting impact works like a hammer, only one that pulls in this case.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Hmmz simply hit harder at the yellow hachi the left side went hard the right side went pretty easy.

If you are able to but the axles at a higher place and spin the wheel so you'll be able to hit it on difrent spots it can't hurt :-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
10-20-2004, 03:28 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Well summarized Ivan . Didn't know the right name for that tool.
The problem with that kind of work is mostly the rust. If you do it hammering a rim , it will pull the bearing , but the power of hitting is not very symetrical . With the tool i discribe , the pulling is applied at the center of the axle . When i remove my axle , i only have to hammer 3 or 4 time and it's out , but i remove them so often for service and repairing!!

here's the tool you need , but it's very expensive , that's why i did it myself:

http://www.drancylocation.com/famille.ph...produit=19

i hope it's a little clearer , as drawing will never replaces words.... Confused
Filh

Filh
Save the RWD cars
10-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Logical but doing it on a bridge with the right amount of power its pretty doable

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
10-21-2004, 10:15 AM
Disassemble rear axle
stumbled on to this pics on my hard drive Smile

Screenshots are from AE86 club, Keiichi's personal video magazine.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
10-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Disassemble rear axle
Doing exactly this is where my motivation ran out. I couldn't remove any of the axles... I used so much force that my slide hammer broke...

Thinking of leaving the job to someone else, i'd might give it another try before though.

Best Regards,

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Disassemble rear axle]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 18,213 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 934 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Door lock disassemble RWD 3 1,887 03-17-2022 02:03 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 12,401 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,702 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu