Help!! how to replace seat belt buckle??
11-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi guys, my front seatbelt buckle had broken in half, can anyone tell me how to replace it or do i need to replace whole seat belt?thanks

Sam
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2007, 09:16 AM
You mean the thing in the middle of the car where you click the belt in? Or the bit thats on the belt itself?

In the first I would only replace that bit, just unbolts with a single bolt and I'm sure someone can get you a replacement from a scapper.

In the second, I wouldn't play around with safety and just replace the belt. Again I'm sure someone has one lying around somewhere. The biggest bit of work here is that you need to take part of the rear seat out so you can remove the side plastic to get to the seatbelt mechanism. The mechanism itself is hold on by two bolts.

Make sure you NEVER let the belt roll itself up completely, you'll have a hard time getting it to unroll (its needs to roll up a little to be able to unroll). I managed by holding the rollup mechanism upside down so the lockup mechanism didn't work very effectively.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-02-2007, 09:31 AM
is the part that plug the belt in?so i was thininking that i can slide the buckle out and slide the new one back in? is that possible?? as i heard from club4ag i need to replace the whole belt?thanks!
11-02-2007, 11:20 AM
If it was so easy to slide the buckle out it wouldn't be very safe in an accident I'd say Smile Its part of the belt.

Now I must admit, I haven't investigated this to great length so there might indeed be a trick to it, and maybe the part you need replacing isn't what I have in mind. Maybe you can take a picture to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
11-02-2007, 01:01 PM
IMO you should replace the whole belt: they are in your car for a reason, so you might need to depend on them. Wink

But perhaps it's better if you illustrate which part is broken on the picture underneath:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Help!! how to replace seat belt buckle??]

In this topic you can see what Mux is refering to with the roll-up mechanism locking up:
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/installin...elts/t/110

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
hi, u can see where i pointed the arrow as that part is snap so the buckle is alwyas sly to the bottom of the belt if you know what i mean, bu is still functonal......thanks

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Ok, think we talk about the same thing. It is possible to get them off, however then you would have to damage the "safety" tags on them and probably if you encounter a harsh MOT inspector your car will probably fail. But who to notice if the plastic surrounding is back in place. Tongue

But I still think it is better to replace the whole unit. Not too much work, takes about 20 minutes to change. Smile

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
ok, thanks!

so any one got a driver side seat belt unit for sale in maroon color??btw my car is a right hand drive. thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to replace the steering column UJ? Mylesmck 4 1,861 05-14-2022 07:40 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Bucket seat prices gh0st 5 2,349 01-23-2022 11:44 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  Rear Seat Belt Question sleepercivic 5 9,676 06-29-2017 09:30 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Foam-ectomy on OEM Seat mad.matt 2 3,854 02-17-2017 12:22 AM
Last Post: mad.matt
  got seat belts. but they rolled up MC_JP 8 9,643 05-06-2014 04:04 PM