Newb: Bas
11-24-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi there,

I'm Bas, 21 live in Brunssum, The Netherlands.
Currently still driving a 200SX S13, but i'm slightly thinking about buying a Levin next year.

I guess I got the "virus" when I passed by a garage that had 2 levin's parked outside Evil ! (Hellenbrand). Walked inside, and damn, they got nice corolla's there...!

IF I sell my s13 next year, i'm not sure if I'm going to buy a Corolla that needs some work done, or buy one that's already fixed like the ones that Hellenbrand sells (Engine fixed, rust fixed, proper car for 3000 - 4500 euro's). Offcourse if I walk into a 1000euro corolla from some grandpa I'm taking it Wave

Where else is a good place to find corolla's (Hatch & Levin's) ?
How easy is it to get parts? I Noticed Hellenbrand had a shitload of 4AGE Engines/Transmissions, bumpers etc. laying around Huh
How are Corolla's in maintenance and howmuch do they cost in insurance? My s13 is quite expensive, 120euro each 3 months on roadtax, and 65euro each month on insurance (regged on my dads name)... Does the 4AGE engine break fast?

Alright, that's enough questions for now Dumb question

Greets,
Bas
Find all posts by this user
11-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Welcome aboard....

4AGE´s are very reliable, easy to fix, and cheap in parts (all this compared to your current S13)

The car itself has rust issues as the main letdown, so be on the lookout for that....other than that the mechanical parts will be quite sturdy and neither hard nor expensive to fix if it breaks.

Insurance is hard to tell, i guess it depends a lot on your area/country, but yes, thay are known as a GTi therefor rather expensive, but i´m guessing somewhat cheaper than an S13.

My evil Red/Black Panda
http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=12832
My current JDM AE86 project
http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=31609
11-24-2005, 11:47 AM
You wont find any grandpa's selling them anymore...have only seen that happen once. AE86 specific parts really arent that cheap at all...and some things are hard to find over here. The engine's are pretty reliable..and easy to replace should you break one. Bodywork and maintenance are the expensive issues. I guess it's cheaper in insurance, I pay around 150 per 3 months..registered on my brothers name...but that doesnt make a huge difference. I thought you would have seen Jesse's 3 hachi's since you live in brunssum...

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Ivan141 Wrote:You wont find any grandpa's selling them anymore...have only seen that happen once. AE86 specific parts really arent that cheap at all...and some things are hard to find over here. The engine's are pretty reliable..and easy to replace should you break one. Bodywork and maintenance are the expensive issues. I guess it's cheaper in insurance, I pay around 150 per 3 months..registered on my brothers name...but that doesnt make a huge difference. I thought you would have seen Jesse's 3 hachi's since you live in brunssum...

I've seen one drive around quite a while ago, haven't seen any other then the ones Hellenbrand is selling driving around so far?

Bodywork ... well... me and my younger brother are hobbyists, we're now restoring his über-rusty suzuki samurai... if that goes well i'd might buy a rusty levin.

BTW,

Is it just me, or are hachi's extremely rare in the netherlands ? I've never found one on marktplaats for example...
11-24-2005, 12:57 PM
@ Ivan:

I live in Bussum, not Brunssum! Only a 197km difference...... :wink:

Why motorsports? Because other sports require only one ball!
11-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Bas Wrote:How are Corolla's in maintenance and howmuch do they cost in insurance? My s13 is quite expensive, 120euro each 3 months on roadtax, and 65euro each month on insurance (regged on my dads name)...

Hey Bas,

U could try to buy another cheapass car next to it.

I have a ep71 and the levin as my second (and oldtimer) car. I just have to pay 16E a month for insurance Wink Even with the insurance of the EP71 accumulated it doesn't reach the 65 euro. True, I have to pay double taxes... but think it's worth it since everything is reg. on my name and I get to build up no-claim Wink
11-24-2005, 01:24 PM
im new to be welcome anyway!
11-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the tip mate,

Well the "problem" is, (Don't want to sound spoiled or something haha), but my dad is paying the insurance/road-tax. I've got a smalltime job next to school which gets me about 400euro a month.
But my dad is driving leased cars, and there's like somekind of a problem and now he doesnt have any damage-free years Angry ... that's why he's paying 65euro's a month!
And being the good guy I am, I dont want to have him spend all that money on a car for me...

If the S13 would be on my own name, i'd cost me 150euro a month with 400euro own-risk policy Crying .
I've heard things about a semi-oldtimer insurance, anyone know more about those?

Oh BTW, what do you guys think of Hellenbrand? They seem to offer pretty good cars for the money? But then again, i've got no idea about the whole 86-scene Banging head
11-24-2005, 04:29 PM
well, if they want to sell it, it could be a good deal Smile

but if i was in the market for one, i'd buy it somewhere else

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
11-24-2005, 04:51 PM
I managed to get by on a similar budget with my own car for over 1,5 years...but it's still expensive enough. This year was very expensive already because of the many new parts that were necessary to keep my car on the road, and I still have a lot to do on it.
You can get semi-classic insurance but most places demand that you are over the age of 24 so that rules you out. You cant register it on your dads name like that because they simply wont pay in case of an accident when they find out someone under 24 years of age was driving. It also has a restriction on the amount of km's you may drive in a year.. about 7500km's a year I think...drive more and you might be fucked if you have an accident as well.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  :: Hello newb to the board and Pics of my 86 :: PDP 18 14,854 09-15-2009 06:19 AM
Last Post: PDP
  Newb from San Diego, CA USA saying hello!!! (LOTS OF PICS) ryceboy_124 3 4,710 07-03-2009 10:46 AM
Last Post: ryceboy_124
  NEWB from Southern Cali....86' GTS suzuka_rob 3 3,912 09-10-2008 01:27 AM
Last Post: suzuka_rob
  Hello from Norway :) (newb ae86 ownership Q's) MiRo 3 4,141 01-22-2007 06:38 PM
Last Post: banpei