driveshaft removal problem
02-13-2007, 08:13 PM
cheers lads,
Im having some pretty stupid problems with changing my burned clutch on my 86. I was trying to remove the driveshaft as the service manual says, I removed the 4 bolts connecting the cardan with the diff and removed the center holding brace (sorry I have no idea how to name that thing in the middle that holds it Smile ) but hey, the driveshaft is still holding in the place (LOL). the problem is at the diff part, it feels like its still bolted on, no matter that I removed all the bolts that connect it. any ideas what can it be? anyone of you experienced the same problem? the manual says it will simply fall out as soon as you unbolt it Banging head

thanks a lot people for helping me out

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
Find all posts by this user
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
try a bigger hammer... Big Grin

(didn't do that yet... read the manual again, detaily and then use The Force my man!! )

SNO-MO-BIRU project started- CHIRO
02-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Never had that problem before...have a good look if it's really clear all around and maybe try giving it a shock with the good old hammer like mrqud mentioned.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-13-2007, 11:32 PM
You don't need to remove driveshaft from diff. Just, remove two bolts wich are holding central bearing on driveshaft, and pull driveshaft from gearbox and in same time, pull central bearing (place where driveshaft have conection point on two pieces) down.

Front part of driveshaft will slide from gearbox output.

Be careful on relation: gearbox oil - your face - driveshaft output on gearbox.
:wink:

1984 AE 86 Levin hatchback
1989 AE 92 GTi
2004 Kawasaki KLE 500

CROATIA - small country for great drift
02-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Respect!

thanks a lot to everyone, especialy Kas! I have one more question, Kas your mentioning to be careful with the gearbox oil... should I expect the oil to start leaking from the driveshaft output on gearbox? Im pretty confused right now, I never did this before and the manual says not to drain the gearbox oil if Im only going to replace the clutch Confused

86ers.org
AE86 x GXE10
02-14-2007, 06:56 PM
that's because the manual doesnt specify unhooking the driveshaft at the gearbox end.. which is not necessary IMO, you should just get the flange to the diff loose, then move the gearbox and driveshaft backwards and out of the way as a whole.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Spitfire Wrote:but hey, the driveshaft is still holding in the place (LOL). the problem is at the diff part, it feels like its still bolted on, no matter that I removed all the bolts that connect it. any ideas what can it be? anyone of you experienced the same problem? the manual says it will simply fall out as soon as you unbolt it Banging head

This happens from time to time. As suggested above give it a several 'taps' with a hammer it different spots around while rotating the driveshaft & pulling the driveshaft towards the front of the car. Forward pressure & shock from the hammer will allow it to slip loose.

My one-piece driveshaft does this everytime, the rear cardan/driveshaft flange is a snug fit and I have to pop it loose every time. Except it has a larger cardan joint/flange which allows me to get leverage with a small/med prybar which makes it easy to take off.

Andrew

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Power Steering Removal 20valver 2 594 05-19-2024 06:48 PM
Last Post: 20valver
  4AGE cylinder head plug removal Ivan141 5 1,812 09-30-2023 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  Sill removal totta Crolla 3 1,763 09-14-2022 06:30 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  AE86 Driveshaft too long? [SOLVED] MyCrazyGarage 12 6,525 07-28-2022 10:48 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Kaaz 1.5 way Diff - Driveshaft Compatability chrisae86 1 2,242 05-10-2021 01:02 PM
Last Post: Project D