turboing a 4AGE
10-11-2006, 03:40 AM
turboing a 4AGE
is it worth turboing a 4AGE. cause i want to get more power out of my ae86. or should i go with a motor swap with the silver top 20v. i dont have much money so things would be bought on buget. or are there other option that i have. anything woud be helpful. as of right now the car has a header back exhaust trd cams, light weight flywheel, stage 1 clutch posi rear end and shorter gears dont know exactly what the ratio is. and it has trd springs all the way around with tokico struts. but there is jsut not enough. i cam from driving a v8 to this so i am use to loads of torque. as i said earlier any thoughts or comments would be great. oh also i am getting the trd short through shifter soon. and 4 link bars for my car. i have bad wheel hope.

matt

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
turboing a 4AGE
Your setup sounds fine. Don't know what cams you're running, but 264/264 with everything fine tuned, should produce around 145 hp at the crank so that's a pretty decent power figure. Much more than that you'll need bigger cams with a standalone ECU.

If you go with the swap, go for Black Top.

Answering your question... For me, Turbo is never a go. But you have to ask yourself what you expect to do with the car. Turbo for drag, NA for Track Days.

If I was to begin my engine project today, I would buy a decent black top and throw it in plain stock.

Best regards
10-11-2006, 12:56 PM
turboing a 4AGE
Turbo's rule at the track..period.
The whole Japanese mentality is all nice and well, but turbo's when properly sized have no disadvantages at the track...you're doing high revs, the snail stays spooled and you always have boost..Even a mild turbo setup will walk all over a blacktop at the track.
For example: the N2 AE86 trackcars did an event at willowsprings..all out racecars (some of em) imported straight from Japan. The fastest laptimes were 6 (!!!! Huh ) seconds slower then a miata with an FM turbokit/koni's and lowering springs.
Boost rules in any kind of competition without limiting rules. NA is more of a purist fetish thing then a performance advantage in any situation.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
10-11-2006, 09:58 PM
turboing a 4AGE
it is my daily driver so i have to keep that in mind i do do drag race and i plan on going auto crossing with it. which would be an easier project to do. i have a welder and all the other tool neccerary for the most part and i have connections to the junk yard that is two houses down from me. si i can get parts. thanks for your help

oh and for the cams i am unsure of the specs on them i have to talk to one of the previous owners about that i bought the car this way. i know the cams are nothing crazy they are very mild.

matt