Which brakes for road use
01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I saw the post about brakes, but it is too focused on conversions...

So I opened the thread to help me choose the right brakes for road use, expeccialy for normal driving, but sometimes pushing the car, let's say once a week on our local uphill Akina for a few kilometers - just for fun, not serious street racing Smile For now I don't intend to use the car at the track.

So I'm wondering if front and rear brake discs should be the same brand and which pads to use.

Original discs are too expensive for me (about 80 eur for 1 disc ! - so 320 eur for all four discs)

First possibility is to buy at local shop, which buys the parts from a distributor of automotive parts in Austria:
Front disc: Brembo (about 40 eur for 1 disc)
Rear disc: Unknown producer (about 26 eur for 1 disc)
Front pads: Lucas (about 40 eur)
Rear pads: Lucas (about 40 eur)

Second possibility:
The other possibility is to buy the blank discs and pads from MaxMisawa, but the shipping might be expensive. And on club4ag he says he has made the pads compound to suite his type of driving (drifting).

The guy at Toyota said, that I should use at least the original pads with aftermarket discs, because the aftermarket pads are harder and they can destroy the discs quicker than the original ones...

Do you have any other opinion (japanparts, etc.) ?

Regards
Andrej
Find all posts by this user
01-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Are your original disks not good anymore?
Max Misawa sais Brembo dont make disks for the AE86, and that its Bradi rotors for sale named Brembo. So not original Brembos...

You could take your original disks to a machine shop to make em back straight and maybe just SLOT em (not drill em if you ask me).

I use PBR pads, but there are many topics about pads you can read...

danielvanderwoude Wrote:looks like the nmwisima joke saved you in the end
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Which brakes for road use] http://www.jdmbits.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Those aftermarket discs are also pretty expensive if you ask me. Over here you can get all four discs for 80 euro's relatively easy. Stay away from any kind of drilled/slotted discs. Drilled ones develop cracks sooner, and slotted ones will eat your pads a lot faster (they do have benefits for trackdriving though).
If you want some sportier characteristics dont go for stock pads, they suck (I'm using them at the moment...akebono pads). Lucas isnt all to hot either, but not bad for a stock pad.
You would be best off using a slightly more aggressive set of pads, say EBC greenstuff/Axxis/Porterfield/Mintex/Ferodo. Just make sure you get some that work good from cold, ferodo DS2500 take a bit of warming up for example before they work good. Mintex pads bite hard from cold and keep it up when they get hot too. The axxis (metalmasters?) pads are popular in the US, and pretty cheap.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the answers Smile

My discs are worn out: they are so thick that they can't be machined...

Ivan, what brand of the discs are for the 80 eur? Many producers like Brembo (Bradi ?), ATE, Lucas, make front discs, but only a few make also the rear ones.

Where do you and other users buy minitex pads? Through the net or at local shop?

Regards
Andrej
01-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, one of the cheaper brake-part distributors/brands over here is ABS (all-brake systems...dont confuse with anti-lock brakes). I got my front discs from a local carparts distributor (that usually sells parts to garage's), and got Bradi discs in an ABS labeled box. Those where 40 euro's...and I know that Seth (LevinGT) got his discs even cheaper.
My rear discs where an ebay purchase.. also from Bradi so availability shouldnt pose much of a problem. I wouldnt recommend buying that stuff on ebay though.
Just remember that you need to go to the places where the garage's get their parts from themselves. Regular carparts stores always overcharge (at least around here they do).
The mintex pads are mostly bought through local importers. Zax knows where to get mintex pads at nice prices. If your content with your brake distribution get the same pads all around. I'm a bit bothered by the fact that my rear brakes always lock up before my front ones do, so I'm going for the cheap (ABS brand), ~20 euro) pads in the rear and mintex in front when my current ones wear out (lucas rears and akebono fronts).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Dreja EBC greenstuff's are pretty popular here, and alot of honda people have them. So i think you should ask on our honda forum. Though Mintex might be a bit cheaper, but also very strong.

And yes have the brake distribution in mind. Keichii says in drift bible, you should take that into consideration, since we dont have brake balance controllers - so mind what kind of tyres youll be using front and back, and what kind of suspension setup. i thinh brake balance is very important for one to feel safe and in-control when pushing the car. you dont want the car to lock up the rear to badly when braking and break out, you might spin of the road - specially going downhill or over bumps.. also you wouldnt want to kill the cars characteristics bymaking it an understeering devil.

I never heard that standard disc couldnt cope w/ some sports pads like EBC greenstudd, mintex etc.. is that true?
01-17-2006, 12:07 PM
They'll hold up just fine. If you brake hard a lot, things will wear out faster, big deal. Like I said, discs can be had cheap, so just replace them when they are worn out (which will still take a long while anyway).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
01-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Dreja tukaj preberi, imaš napisano o EBC kar dosti.. http://www.hondaclub-si.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17389
01-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info Smile

Regards
Andrej
01-17-2006, 02:34 PM
I've searched and found that EBC sells also brake discs, both front & rear Smile

EBC discs codes:
front: D332, price in our country: 65 eur for 1 disc
rear: D333, price in our country: 47 eur for 1 disc

The discs should be a performance ones, used also in racing group N, where the drilled/slotted rotors are not allowed...

They might be a good combination with mintex pads...

Catalog is on the page:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/

Unfortunatly the pads are not available, as EBC produces only standard ones, which are not good (so the EBC distributor said to me)...
The codes are: DP532 front
DP392 rear

Regards
Andrej

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear brakes totta Crolla 0 859 02-03-2023 12:54 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  Switching diffs for disc brakes? trippin 6 2,334 07-08-2022 03:35 AM
Last Post: trippin
  20v BT - which oil pump? Mylesmck 4 2,455 06-21-2022 04:51 PM
Last Post: pack
  Rim width. Which is best.... Dino86 5 6,574 01-07-2017 03:09 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,702 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu