Megasquirt talk (split from robokills project thread)
03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
Denmark Wrote:I did have MS on th ered turbo ae86,and it was working great,

This time i will try a VEMS ecu,as this also have included in the ecu, a wideband controller,so you can both map the car by wideband,but also run closedloop WB.

There is a lambda tabel, as well as fuel ,and ignition.

So you put in what you want the lab´mbda number to be,and the ECU,will run that.

It can also run COP.

This unit is around 400euro,so a bit more expinsive,but not to bad,if you don´t already have a wideband.
/Skassa

Hey Skassa.. I got VEMS om my car and am also gona install VEMS on my EA86. Are you bying yours together with PeterJ?
I heard the guy who bought your old turbo-AE86 isn't driving it too Confused

I don't think VEMS is too expensiv.. for ~400EUR the Wbo2 is inluded and most of the board is assembled (+$ for total assembling) and tested before it's beeing shiped out.
When you got a Wbo2 the computer can also do "closed loop" under bigger load (other AFR)..
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
If you want to do a clean install with plugging the MS directly onto the car's own wiring harness, you might be interested in knowing that the yellow receptacle on the standard AE86 ECU is AMP pulse lock connector p/n 1-172489-7, specifications available here;

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/bi...&IDS=44546

http://www.onlinecomponents.com has it listed on their catalog, price is $19 per unit in quantities under 50.

If you need the plugs, their AMP part numbers are as follows;

10pin; 172315-7
18pin; 172316-7
14pin; 172354-7

Contacts inside the plugs are p/n 170352-1.

I still need to find the part number for the large connector located in the engine bay, mounted to the middle of the firewall. This connector attaches the engine harness to the rest of the car so when building a custom harness for the engine, it would be nice to be able to connect it cleanly to the rest of the car at this location.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Good idea. Though i might think of removing a set of connectors of my original computer. (hmmz maybe not)

I'll see if i can dig it up :-D Thing that slows me is still money :-(

Wanting the MS to run properly i think i need alot of bench time to fine tune it so i need to get some info about it.

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-08-2006, 03:08 AM
You won't need any benchtime..They don't even have a lot of steady state benches, so theres not a lot that a bench can do that you can't do yourself on the road with an uphil+handbrake..

With a wideband and logger it should be no problem to road tune the car better then anyone could on a dynojet..

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
03-08-2006, 01:25 PM
anyways nohachi i want bechtime to see my outcome power on the wheels :-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS
03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
NoHachi Wrote:You won't need any benchtime..They don't even have a lot of steady state benches, so theres not a lot that a bench can do that you can't do yourself on the road with an uphil+handbrake..

With a wideband and logger it should be no problem to road tune the car better then anyone could on a dynojet..
True.. but ignition is a hole lot harder.
You can set your ingnition after when it starts knocking but you doo need benchtime to know when you got best power (of course still without knocking).
03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
I've been browsing through the whole VEMS site a bit...really damn cryptic website. But it does have nice features. I cant find anywhere that it comes with a WBO2 sensor...but the controller is indeed built in. Add to that all the other options that you would most likely want and you end up at 550+ euro's at the very least. Not saying it's not worth it, but you can get a megasquirt to do most of the same things for less. Especially if you split the costs of the WBO2 and just run narrowband once you've got it tuned right.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Anybody knows simple and cheap way of monitoring knock in engine?

I'm using this method
http://bagpuss.swan.ac.uk/horsham-develo...nation.htm

but thanks to my screamer pipe in engine room I can't hear nothing, so I need some kind of electronic device.

Btw good info about knock

http://www.stanford.edu/~bmoses/knock.html

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
03-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Ivan141 Wrote:I've been browsing through the whole VEMS site a bit...really damn cryptic website. But it does have nice features. I cant find anywhere that it comes with a WBO2 sensor...but the controller is indeed built in. Add to that all the other options that you would most likely want and you end up at 550+ euro's at the very least. Not saying it's not worth it, but you can get a megasquirt to do most of the same things for less. Especially if you split the costs of the WBO2 and just run narrowband once you've got it tuned right.
It dos'nt come with a who2.. but 450EUR (wbo2 included ~66EUR) should do it if you mount the transistors and connectors you selv.. but yes, it depends on what you need and MS can bee made cheaper without wbo2.
03-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Zax,

Dahm, you run that car rich,even the Impreza were i was running 1,6 bar did not have to be that rich(and that is engine need it rich),

Other then that, i also have a Techegde WBO2 the one in the green alu case,
this is what i use when i map other cars.

the VEMS i´m getting is with a discount,as it´s a groupbuy, here in Denmark.
So it will be 3000Dkr,all in including the lsu4.

As knock montering i have always been using this :
http://www.link-electro.co.nz/knocklink.html

On the Impreza,i had i permently mounted in the speedo,

Pic here
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Megasquirt talk (split from...ct thread)]

there is a adjustment screw on the top,on the impreza this had to be on max sensitivity,then it was spoot on , when testing it, the same way as you,but this way you can always see it,
The red light will flash long before you can hear it normaly,but with the
ear defenders, it´s spot on.

Max sensitivity was also spot on on the Turbo AE86.

Regards,
Skassa

Any fool can go fast in a straight line.
VEMS Blacktop 4AGTE20V 272hp/350nm
"""www.turbotoys.dk"""

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lets talk engine mounts kazi 6 7,443 08-31-2017 12:46 PM
Last Post: parrot
  Oil plug thread size is M18x1.5 ???? Dino86 5 9,102 06-07-2012 04:54 PM
Last Post: Dino86
  AE86 Temperature gauge sender thread? 4AGE FORD 1 3,783 03-20-2011 01:25 AM
Last Post: 4AGE FORD
  Megasquirt I v3.0 and toyota distributor/igniter harkes 12 33,173 10-02-2009 01:19 PM
Last Post: Chrisso
  MegaSquirt and Direct Coil Control harkes 1 2,961 06-25-2009 06:19 PM
Last Post: harkes