Hi from Texas
06-25-2007, 02:17 AM
Hi from Texas
How is everyone doin. My name is Shane im from Texas and I just picked up a 1985 AE86 GT-S. Its all stock right now but I plan on fixing it up. I dont know much about these cars but im working on learning about them. I want to go the drift route with this car. Iv always wanted to get into drifting. And I hear that this is the car to do it with. And who heres my car:

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Hi from Texas]

I do have a few Q's if you guys will help me out:

1. Do ppl pull the FI off and go back with carbs?
2. Is it worth putting carbs on my car?
3. Can i get some web sites here in the USA to find parts for my AE86?
4. Can you make good power with the stock motor?
5. Can I get some links to some stuff to just learn about these cars?\

Thanks for any and all help.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Hi from Texas
1:Yes some people do switch to carbs (double weber for example), but it's not the popular thing to do.
2: Not much improvement for the hassle, although you can win some hp and lay a good base for further tuning.
3: look around the forum, we have a list that will make your jaw drop.
4: If you've got the 4age (probably do since you have injection) then yes, it can make decent power, plenty of good swaps available too.
If you want to really learn how to drift like most of the hardcore guys that started out in an ae86, then keep the engine stock and invest in suspension. If you learn to drift the low-power hachi properly, then you'll probably be able to drift anything with more HP easily.

5: start reading anything that catches your eye on the forum.. there is a lot to learn here.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi from Texas
Thanks very much, If you dont mind me asking, My mtor is old(270,000 miles) is there any other moror that is better and is a direct swap in my car?
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi from Texas
MR2 supercharged 1.6 (4agze) will fit if you're not afraid of some small fabrication. If you just need a fresher engine in there then you might get a regular 4age out of an mr2 (straight swap if you exchange waterpumps and ancillaries). I've heard some Geo models also came with the 4age, (Prizm?), that might be worthwile too since the 90+ models got the later smallport version which makes a little more power.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
06-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Hi from Texas
sho_shane
You are in USA so you can try 4AGE 20V engines too (needs 2 important fabrications - distributor and water re-routing).
06-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi from Texas
Ivan141 Wrote:MR2 supercharged 1.6 (4agze) will fit if you're not afraid of some small fabrication. If you just need a fresher engine in there then you might get a regular 4age out of an mr2 (straight swap if you exchange waterpumps and ancillaries). I've heard some Geo models also came with the 4age, (Prizm?), that might be worthwile too since the 90+ models got the later smallport version which makes a little more power.

Iv very interested in the MR2 4agze swap. What kinda fab work is there? will the motor bolt right in? Can you set me up with a link with a rite up of this swap? Thanks again for all the help.
06-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi from Texas
Hi Sho shane,

This is a good read just to get an idea whats involved with the GZE swap:
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...idered.htm

Also check around the tech section and project section on this forum, plenty of info on people doing these kind of swaps Wink

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
06-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi from Texas
Mux213 Wrote:Hi Sho shane,

This is a good read just to get an idea whats involved with the GZE swap:
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_...idered.htm

Also check around the tech section and project section on this forum, plenty of info on people doing these kind of swaps Wink

Man so it looks like its a bolt in to my car. And im not good with wiring but it dont look to bad.
06-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi from Texas
Sho Shane,

If you have a complete GZE with wire loom and all, it theoretically should be a pretty 'easy' swap. Biggest issue is doing some wiring to get the GZE wireloom integrated into the Hachi's and the fact that you'll want to do all new piping for the IC and install a better radiator and oil cooler and such.

At least thats what I know from it, I have yet to do such a swap and actually find outSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
06-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi from Texas
Is a 20V a easy swap? and is it worth it?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  86 coupe in Texas, USA fujiwaratofu 2 4,683 11-11-2013 07:12 PM
Last Post: zenki
  Newbe from San Antonio Texas Memo 3 4,893 06-13-2011 10:59 PM
Last Post: zenki
  new guy from texas sloK 2 3,673 11-18-2009 10:27 AM
Last Post: banpei
  New from Texas dr.occa 47 35,018 04-24-2007 04:53 AM
Last Post: Mosqiton