AE86 diff problem
06-02-2006, 12:32 PM
AE86 diff problem
Okey dokey, here i am with a diff problem again. I haven't driven the car very much since the last assembling (http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=2987) - maybe about 100-200 km only. This is mainly bacause the car was in a shop for a front lower arm raplacement. Yeasterday, i took the car back and went out for a drift practice. What happen is that when the wheel started to overspin, a metal scraping noise appeared suddenly in the back. I tested the prob a little and when found out it's not my imagination i drove straight to garage. The noise only appaers under heavy load (drifting, wheelspin), i cannot hear it when just cruising even at higher rpm. I though i broke one of the halfshafts again. Today the mechanics took one out - it's ok. Their guess is something that very surprised me - housing wear. So far i haven't heard of anybody raplacing the diff housing, simply because of inside wear. I'm confused and don't know what to do. I was about to order brand new KAAZ 2-way LSD, but i'm afraid that i may waste the unit. Any advice is widely accepeted.

To anyone who have succesfully performed an overhaul procedure, please, give me a brief step by step of the process and parts raplaced.

I already had the diff overhauled when i first bought the car (3 years ago and about 5000 km of "amateur racing"). Something was surely wrong since that's when the diff came out 100 locked.

1984 Toyota Corolla 4AGE 20v
2007 Subaru Impreza STi
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2006, 03:22 PM
AE86 diff problem
I have a KAAZ 2way diff, and I don't have any problem with it. In fact, I have problems is with the ring and pinion, they make noise when cruising, I have tried to remove the noise, but after hard practice the noise is back.
I have also bought a new ring and pinion, It lasted one hour in a track day, then it started to make noise (winny ones) again.

I have installed everything according to the manual, with every bearing new.

But, as I said, everything work's at 100%, it just makes noise .....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
AE86 diff problem
Just got back from the mechanics - it's not the diff housing that's worn out, but the inside of the lsd unit. I hope a new aftermarket unit would solve the problem. I'll be ordering also all bearings, crush sleeve and pinion seal. Hoping to have a succesfull assembling at the end. Advices still widely accepted Smile

@gon
Thanks for you reply. Smile What is your impression of the KAAZ 2way, since this is exactly what i'm looking at. I'm perticularly interested in the locking. I suppose no unit is prejected to work at 100% lock (like my present diff does). How much power do you have to apply to have it locked and how does it feel while braking in high or low speed corners?

2007 Subaru Impreza STi
06-02-2006, 04:06 PM
AE86 diff problem
It is all very subjective, but I think that it tries to start locking at something like 10% of the throttle
I think that it is a very predictive and funny unit, you wont regret, I have done track day grip driving, and it is still great for that, for drifting it's a very good unit, But I have heard that it's not that great when you have lots of torque ( like with 4agze or a turbo 4age )
If your going N/A it's a great unit.
You will have lot's of vibration in the beginning, but it's only in the break in, that last something like 3000km or so.

Do you usually drift at track day’s? 3rth gear drifting and entry speed’s of about 100 / 120 Km/h ?
If yes, Does you ring and pinion make winning noises?
I can’t get rid of the winning noise Sad

If you want to chat about it, MSN me @ [email protected]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
AE86 diff problem
gon Wrote:Do you usually drift at track day’s? 3rth gear drifting and entry speed’s of about 100 / 120 Km/h ?
If yes, Does you ring and pinion make winning noises?

My present diff is a rebuilt version of the stock one. It was supposed to work normally with all parts bought brand new. I don't know what went wrong while assembling (mechanics did it for me) but it came out with 100% lock up. Now it's broken and i'm trying to rebuild it with a kaaz 2-way unit inside. Just wanted to make myself clear...

Before the break down, sounds were present at all time, but bearable. I didn't fix it since it felt pretty good for drifitng Smile

BTW: we don't have drift days in Bulgaria since untill recently there wasn't any appropriate track for car racing.

PS: sorry, i don't use MSN, but my ICQ is 47555828 Smile

2007 Subaru Impreza STi

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gt86 diff in an ae86 gh0st 11 4,214 05-22-2022 06:18 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Using a different diff in an AE86 megabob 6 8,015 02-17-2015 03:37 PM
Last Post: megabob
  Diff problem izanagi 10 11,899 08-25-2014 12:47 PM
Last Post: izanagi
  4agZe problem solved - 99% IC problem Okami 41 34,957 07-12-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: Okami
  What Diff Oil For a Clutch plate diff? jamieae86 10 13,640 12-16-2011 11:14 AM
Last Post: bakonick