Broken rear end(ring pinion)
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM
I unfortunately broke myrear end 4,7:1 ring pinion .
And I'm in a hurry to find one . I bought mine from Stageoneimports , but it looks like they disappear . Am I right? they had interesting prices for that item.
Any links welcome!
I know I can get the Toyota Part 41201-29637, but it's so expensive here !
thanks for your help

[/img]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Filh
Save the RWD cars
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2008, 10:00 PM
WOOOW.. thats why i drive with the volvo rear end Big Grin MUAHAHA

good luck man

Don´t Think About The Past,
Live In The Present And
Dream About Tomorrow
09-08-2008, 11:31 PM
thanks , Not the first one I boke , and probably not the last Hurray!
phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
09-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Ever consider enlarging the oil capacity of your differential filh? And maybe a solid pinion spacer to stop the pinion from coming looser after rough use (at least that's what many of the 4x4 guys do). I know that PASS racing sold the spacers, looks like you already found a source for a new ring&pinion.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2008, 10:04 PM
I must say I the first to be guilty about breaking rear end gears .
The way I drive involve that breakage .
As I don't have a very powerful engine ( by missing budget) I often use the well known " braking on gearbox and rear end "
My friend with his AE86 is doing the same , but he's got 160hp , and broke some rear ends too .
A solid pinion spacer ? never heard about that , but so far I could check , it's seems that it didn't had too much clearance .
But it's never bad to have a regular checking . And I also change oil twice a year (each 6 rallye) , using Kernit Top Blend (40€/liter).
Thanks for the info
Hope I can get my happyness soon......
phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
09-10-2008, 02:39 AM
its a good idea also to drive normally for at least 15 minutes before you start to thrash it.

the metal is a lot more brittle when its cold.

the guy who sets my diffs up also runs the tolerances a little tighter, so when it is nice and hot its right.

be also puts a very small radius on each pinion tooth, so the oil isnt "cut off".

thats all the advise/tricks hes ever given me. might help, but still the t series is not really "over built" at all so breakages are inevitable eventually.
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
thanks but as i said , I'm for sure 75% guilty about breakage .
JUst wondering now if a solid spacer is a good solution ??????

Correct to avoid pinion clearance to increase with time .But what about all impacts resulting of competion use ?
Too much rigidity is not always healthy , on a mechanical point of vue

phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars
09-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, but the pinions position relative to the ring gear is supposed to be firmly fixed. There shouldnt be much flex in a diff.
I have bought a solid spacer myself, but havent used it yet.

Look it up on some 4x4 forums.. the guys that are seriously into this hobby all swear by solid spacers. If anyone abuses their differential, it's those guys.
The original crush collar design is there to make the production of the car easier. No adjusting shims necessary etc. If it gets overcrushed for whatever reason at all, the pinion will sit looser, and this is not a good thing.

All that being said, I think you'll still destroy enough gearsets. The 6.7 inch diff on an ae86 is pretty small, and the higher the ratio's become, the weaker the gears become.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-11-2008, 11:06 PM
That's very clear , and I completly agree with you , the higher ratio you get the weaker it is . The power is divided into less teeth .
The 5.3:1 ratio seems to be the best ratio for rallying , but it's very weak and that's why I go on with the 4.7:1 .
phil

Filh
Save the RWD cars

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ring gear bolts DJexor 3 5,253 12-26-2016 10:56 PM
Last Post: totta Crolla
  20v mains & big end bearing izanagi 9 10,015 12-26-2016 12:42 PM
Last Post: pack
  DIY: a quick outline on why & how to set pinion angle. assassin10000 9 17,764 12-21-2016 10:28 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Checking ring gear diff izanagi 3 4,868 07-09-2014 07:38 AM
Last Post: jondee86
  Ring & pinion ratio. izanagi 27 26,271 07-05-2014 07:35 PM
Last Post: assassin10000