Disassemble rear axle
10-15-2004, 09:10 AM
Disassemble rear axle
Hey Guys,

I'm taking my spare axle appart so here are some picturesSmile

This is after I took the brakes off:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Disassemble rear axle]

Unscrewing the bolts that hold the brake guards on and hold the half-axle in place:

Adding a tire so we can more easily apply some force to get the axle out:

Axle is out:

And thats where I am at now:

So I got a couple of questions. First off, I can't get the other axle to come off, it's slightly out but the last bit just wont budge. Any tips here?

Next up I want to take the brake guards off the half axle so I can clean them up. Do I just slide off the bearing? Or do I need to do something else?

Also what should I replace before putting it all back together again? I'm gonne remove the LSD once I get the other half-axle out so keep that in mind aswellSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
10-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Disassemble rear axle
What method did you use on the first axle? Did you hammer that wheel?
I'll look up the picture of the axle assembly for you, so you can figure out how to dismantle the brakeguards of the halfaxles.
Getting the bearings off is tough. I think most people split them using an angle grinder very carefully. I'll look up what my manuals have to say about it.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2004, 11:47 AM
Disassemble rear axle
Ivan141 Wrote:What method did you use on the first axle? Did you hammer that wheel?
Used a rubber hammer to tap it loose yes, just tap it at different places on the wheel. Why is that wrong?Sad

Ivan141 Wrote:I'll look up the picture of the axle assembly for you, so you can figure out how to dismantle the brakeguards of the halfaxles.
Getting the bearings off is tough. I think most people split them using an angle grinder very carefully. I'll look up what my manuals have to say about it.
Hmmm I don't like that idea much. I'm probably better off cleaning the brake guard without taking it off. Need to figure out a good way to do that without damaging the bearing.

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Hammering in different places should be perfectly okay...The official method is using a slide hammer...maybe you should use some more force, though I can understand that you wouldnt want to break anything.
Before deciding to keep those bearings on there I would first assure myself that they are in good condition. No need to replace 100 euro parts if they are in good shape.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Hi Ivan,

Well I was hammering pretty hard at some point but still, rubber hammer on tire damps the force alot. I just read the post Will did in one of your threads awhile back and suddenly realized I didn't put the old brake disks on, if I put them on without the wheel I should be able to apply a little more force.

As for the bearing, I am pretty sure they are still in good shape. So far nothing has indicated this axle isn't any good. If you ask me it came off the car fairly early in its life and has just been lying outside for a long time. Everything just looks to clean and undamaged. But still, I wont know for sure until I drive this axleSmile

I'm just going to find a way to clean the brake covers without taking the bearings out and use some cardboard or somethign to protect the bearings. Just need to be carefullSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Disassemble rear axle
How weird..I believe that plate is supposed to stay on the axle after removing the halfshafts. I cant remember ever seeing a half shaft with that plate still in place, so it should come off without removing the bearings.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-15-2004, 01:05 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Ivan,

hmmm I need to give it another try then, maybe when I move it right it will slide over the bearing.

If so, I'm all setSmile My POR15 should be in next week for painting the axle, and I'll drive over to Ed's to get the calipers and brake covers sandblastedSmile

Anyone know a good address for buying a rear caliper rebuild kit?

btw, is it smart to replace those gaskets or can I just reuse the ones that are on now?

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Replace everything./..gaskets arent very expensive (well..maybe when you look at what your getting for your money they are, but overall not a lot). Buy a rebuild kit from toyota. They cost around 30 euros, and you get every little bit you need for a proper rebuild. Keep in minde that it takes some special tools officialy, so it's a lot of work to get everything out and assemble it again.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Hi Ivan,

Ah okay, time to go past the local toyota dealer then....

I would only rebuild the piston, so take it out, replace the seals and put it back in. I'm not going to do the handbrake, Hope they are still good. I've heard those are a nightmare and will always leak when you do them, atleast they do on the RX7 and these calipers look almost identical.

I've rebuild my front calipers for the RX7 but still have to try them out. Beside I have the calipers from this axle that I will rebuild and I have working calipers still on my car. If the rebuild fails I will just use the calipers I have now as I know they are goodSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

10-15-2004, 03:14 PM
Disassemble rear axle
Euhm i hamered the tire while spinning it and i hammerd with a forhammer :-)

Cars:
"99 Lexus IS200
"86 AE86 Kouki Panda Levin GT-Apex (restore project)
"84 AE86 Zenki Blue Levin (project racer)
Motorcycles:
"02 Yamaha R1
"02 Honda Hornet S
"08 BMW R1200GS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AE86 rear axle weight megabob 11 18,213 03-29-2024 11:18 AM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Axle width totta Crolla 1 934 10-24-2023 12:20 PM
Last Post: FanIsHere
  Door lock disassemble RWD 3 1,887 03-17-2022 02:03 AM
Last Post: Bean
  Rear axle options Dino86 13 12,401 01-08-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Rebuild rear disc brakes toyota crown ms112 axle bozu 0 3,702 12-21-2016 09:37 PM
Last Post: bozu