Exhaust replacement
06-21-2024, 09:57 PM
Exhaust replacement
I'm thinking about replacing my Tanabe Hyper Medalion exhaust with a slightly less noisy one. I wasn't aware of how noisy it actually is until I started my car in a parking garage and the sound resonated back to me.

I'm looking for a system that's a bit more sporty than the OEM one but still looks stock. Preferably it should also be made of stainless steel. I'm considering replacing it with a HKS Legal or Fujisubo Legalis R exhaust system. Does anyone have experience with those two? Or perhaps experience with another one?

1982 - TA60 Carina 4dr sedan - fun cruiser
1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Exhaust replacement]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-21-2024, 10:09 PM
Exhaust replacement
Do you have an equivalent to Power Flow in the Netherlands perhaps.

People in the UK make fun of them, but my father's EE80 has a Power Flow and he has no complaints after 15 years of use.

Power Flow page
Find all posts by this user
06-22-2024, 12:18 AM
Exhaust replacement
although I have no experience with it I am considering the legalis R myself to quiet things down a bit.... which it will surely do as I currently run an ancient HKS hi power. Both options are well known and loved so both would do well for you, I think the legalis looks a bit nicer tho. Do you have a cat installed currently? if not you could consider having a nice simons muffler welded into the test pipe.
06-22-2024, 02:06 PM
Exhaust replacement
Thanks both for your suggestions. We do have some companies that can make custom exhaust systems, but I'd rather have one that's been designed specifically for the AE86.
@livelaughlevin I think the HKS Hi Power is similar in noise levels to the Hyper Medalion. I still have a cat installed, but it would have been a good suggestion to quiet things down with an extra muffler on the cat.

06-23-2024, 01:13 AM
Exhaust replacement
(06-22-2024 02:06 PM)banpei Wrote:  Thanks both for your suggestions. We do have some companies that can make custom exhaust systems, but I'd rather have one that's been designed specifically for the AE86.
@livelaughlevin I think the HKS Hi Power is similar in noise levels to the Hyper Medalion. I still have a cat installed, but it would have been a good suggestion to quiet things down with an extra muffler on the cat.

in that case I would personally get the legalis R. It does come in multiple version, there is one with a longer muffler and a louder one with a shorter muffler, the large muffler version is the one you should get (you probably already knew this though).

I forgot to mention but I do have some experience with the legalis R but not on my own car, my neighbour runs one on his crazy 280z racecar. The car is pretty quiet on the rear end until floored (the front is always loud which might have something to do with the stacks and the triple carb setup). It was clear that quality wise it was a major step up from my HKS exhaust (although there was a 20 year age difference most likely)
06-24-2024, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2024 12:26 PM by banpei.)
Exhaust replacement
I've asked a company in NL for pricing for both HKS Legal and Fujitsubo Legalis R exhausts. They have sent me pricing and some links to (more detailed) specs of these exhausts. All exhausts are similar in price (all around 900 euros) so price-wise it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

I found this one interesting for @livelaughlevin:
The Hi Power outputs 73dB on close proximity when idling and 97dB at 4950rpm. For the stock exhaust, this should be 60dB and 85dB. If you would downgrade to a HKS Legal it would become 92dB at 4950rpm.

My Hyper Medalion is "only" rated at 94dB at 4950dB, so I think it's somewhere between the HKS Hi Power and the HKS Legal.

I've also looked into the Fujitsubo Legalis R and this is the table for the mild exhaust: (S- and W-tail)

And this is for the Fujitsubo performance version (they call it the "powerful sound type" Big Grin ):
Fujitsubo performance version is, again, comparable to the HKS Hi Power and the Hyper Medalion.

I think I've made my mind up and will probably go for the Fujitsubo but I don't know yet if it's going to be a S-tail or W-tail. Confused
The twin pipes of the W-tail look great on a kouki panda:

But I don't really like the looks on this zenki non-panda:
I have a zenki panda so maybe I need to photoshop it on my car. Big Grin

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

06-24-2024, 01:15 PM
Exhaust replacement
really like the twin pipe in the oval damper.

Have you considered a larger damper in betweem or replacing an existing one with a bigger one?
06-24-2024, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2024 01:57 PM by banpei.)
Exhaust replacement
(06-24-2024 01:15 PM)r.ave Wrote:  Have you considered a larger damper in betweem or replacing an existing one with a bigger one?
It's a good suggestion, but I have considered that. Adding an extra muffler or replacing the muffler in the back with a more silent one would probably work, but it also could potentially ruin the sound and/or the looks of the rear part. I really like the looks of the Hyper Medalion, so it would be a waste to ruin it. And adding/replacing a muffler would cost quite a bit as the exhaust is stainless steel and not all shops can work with stainless.
So my idea was to get another stainless exhaust to my liking and sell the Hyper Medalion.

06-24-2024, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2024 04:02 PM by banpei.)
Exhaust replacement
I definitely second Robert's opinion on the twin pipe. I will likely be getting that one for my car at some point (first I would need to recover from the annex coilovers tho). I think twin pipes are definitely the right move. I hope someone can help you with some photoshopped evidence of this statement Tongue

I just came across this video.
06-24-2024, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2024 04:08 PM by banpei.)
Exhaust replacement
(06-24-2024 02:29 PM)livelaughlevin Wrote:  I definitely second Robert's opinion on the twin pipe. I will likely be getting that one for my car at some point (first I would need to recover from the annex coilovers tho). I think twin pipes are definitely the right move. I hope someone can help you with some photoshopped evidence of this statement Tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foHgJEifoRY

I just came across this video.
Thanks for finding that video! Thumbs up!
I did find a lot of videos with the Fujitsubo exhaust, but most of them are from under the car.
On this zenki Trueno the twin pipe looks great, so I think I'll go for that one as well! Hurray!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sub panel and rotary-button replacement for Levin -> Trueno conversion gh0st 9 5,020 11-05-2021 08:17 PM
Last Post: gh0st
  Catalytic converter replacement Ryo 5 8,428 06-10-2015 09:38 PM
Last Post: KoJl6ACA
  Coilover shock replacement phill 92 9 11,205 08-28-2012 08:46 PM
Last Post: phill 92
  replacement parts??? diff. slowboy2 5 5,421 02-03-2011 09:01 PM
Last Post: slowboy2
  Head Gasket Replacement - Block Surface Question ?? juantonwan 4 5,390 06-11-2009 02:24 PM
Last Post: ZDoman