TRD diff.
04-02-2009, 08:05 PM
TRD diff.
I have been offered a new TRD 2 way diff and I'm not sure if it is a worthwhile upgrade over the stock lsd.
Thing is to fit it I will need to use late (Kouki) shafts and probably new shaft bearings too (the chap selling the diff has two shafts to fit it but the bearings are shot) it will need new diff side bearings also.
My diff is working o.k and my halfshaft bearings are fine too.
Is it worth fitting the TRD ? How much are my shafts and diff worth ?
Thanks, TC

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
04-02-2009, 10:55 PM
TRD diff.
What is asking price for TRD ?
04-03-2009, 11:18 AM
TRD diff.
Beside price, important thing is what are you going to use it for ?

2way is better, but only if you are going to drift/skid/trash your car Smile.
For regular driving 2way can be painfull, especially for rear tyres since 2way diff wears tyres much faster.

I would put it simple, 2way is for fast (track, dirt, drift) driving, and for daily car standard 1.5way is wiser choice.
04-03-2009, 12:20 PM
TRD diff.
in my opinion the trd 2way need much more maintenance because of higher lock ratio, it need frequently oil changes at least and can wear quickly if you use it too much.

But that has all to do with the Lock Ratio i think, maybe is here someone who can adjust to lower one, i heard rumour abour reseting KAAZ diff but nothing about TRD.

http://www.86ers.org
All the hachies that Daytona can only dream about.
04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
TRD diff.
I have a TRD 2way in my KE20 (not 6,7" but 6" diff), and i NEVER had any problems with clunking/locking in low speed corners.

more oil changes, yes, it's true, but i guess no-one on here follows the normal oil service rules (i always replace my oil earlier then the normal schedule). so doing a diff more often is not a problem imho.

If you use the car on the streets and sometimes a little bit of hard driving, stock diff is more then enough. If you're building a hardcore drifter or such, 2way is the way to go Smile

i only opted for the TRD, because it's the only LSD made for my car! Big Grin

"It's all about the heart, the people who focus on parts, turbo's and all that stuff...they're just losers."
-Shinji Minowa
04-03-2009, 07:35 PM
TRD diff.
Thankyou all for replies.
The car is used for tarmac rally with some smooth gravel.
I wondered if the TRD would tend to push the front of the car on rather than turning in if it is set tight as standard.
Anyone had this happen ?

04-03-2009, 09:08 PM
TRD diff.
As much as i know, that diff was the diff for Group A AE86 "in the days".
So.. as much as i see it.. if Toyota said "use TRD diff for Gr.A rally Corollas" i believe it will be just right for you too Wink[/i]
04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
TRD diff.
TRD LSD's are excellent with very mild initial lock so they don't really upset the cars handling, just give much better lock-up and control.

Great for road, track, rally, drift, TRD's will do it all and they are very quiet and smooth due to the lower preload.

I say go for it!

If you need new side bearings, I have those for £55 the pair. Also have new shaft bearings for £60 each. PM me if you need anything.

It'll be well worth the upgrade.
04-04-2009, 07:45 PM
TRD diff.
Sounds like a perfect upgrade then.
Will, I'll be in touch about the bearings Thumbs up!

04-21-2009, 11:19 PM
TRD diff.
And ? Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rebuild TRD diff izanagi 1 4,130 07-13-2014 05:07 PM
Last Post: Ivan141
  What Diff Oil For a Clutch plate diff? jamieae86 10 13,610 12-16-2011 11:14 AM
Last Post: bakonick
  clutches and spring washers position in 2 Way TRD diff???? T_AE86 3 5,021 09-01-2011 10:50 AM
Last Post: T_AE86
  weight diff head diff center fax0815 5 6,403 12-21-2010 03:03 PM
Last Post: fax0815
  Celica F-diff with Hilux/ Pickup Torsen diff Roye 7 11,097 04-29-2008 09:13 PM
Last Post: Roye