New chassis? New chassis! Hype?
Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Yesterday my Youtube feed did give me an interesting video to watch.

And here's the source for this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/F...83332.html

What am I to make of this? Could this be used for putting a car on the road? Is it more suited for building a race car? Who would be willing to do a group buy?
Find all posts by this user
Yesterday, 08:16 PM
I want to know what it's made of. Until someone gets one to analyse, then for all we know it's 4/5 of the correct size and is made of kitchen foil.
Find all posts by this user
Yesterday, 09:13 PM
I've seen it several times in the app groups I'm part of, so here's my 2 cents:
The chassis is lacking a frame number. This means it could be legal if you reuse an existing frame number from an existing car. In the US it's even more difficult as you need in addition to the frame number a valid VIN. For the AE86 this is basically nearly the same.
In most countries, you would need the proper paperwork alongside the frame number and/or VIN to register the car. You can only import a car if it has the correct paperwork from the country of origin. This means in general, you can only reuse existing frame numbers if you have the correct paperwork and thus a fake is hard to create. (there are some shady countries that could be the origin, so it doesn't rule out fakes for a 100%)
Even if a fake could be made, the price for a chassis is 9000 euros if you buy 10 of them at the same time. However, they lack:
- engine
- gearbox
- rear axle
- wiring loom
- dashboard
- interior
- head lights
- tail lights
- bumpers
- windows
- window mouldings
- probably a gazillion knickknacks I forgot
Finding all the above in good enough condition would probably set you back more than the car would be worth when you sell it.
And my final point is that the car was 3D scanned to create the reproduction parts. However, the quality of these parts fully depends on how good these parts were to begin with. If they aren't 100% straight, copies will also be crooked.

1983 - AE86 Sprinter Trueno - import project
2013 - Honda Civic sport - daily driver
2004 - AEU86 dot ORG - daily domain

Support our forum, buy from the AEU86 shop:
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - New chassis? New chassis! Hype?]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4A-GE wiring engine to chassis connectors Lykowsky 4 6,745 06-20-2019 11:38 AM
Last Post: Lykowsky
  frame/chassis rails info Tig 14 21,041 12-22-2012 10:38 PM
Last Post: Tig
  chassis color El Destructo Inc 1 2,867 05-14-2009 07:23 AM
Last Post: El Destructo Inc
  Chassis stiffening through foam injection NoHachi 9 10,283 03-22-2007 10:09 AM
Last Post: NoHachi
  Welding chassis (firewall to rail) should car be on stands? eightsixboy 1 2,973 03-21-2007 02:38 AM
Last Post: eightsixboy