Type of carbs to suit 4ag
02-02-2013, 08:06 AM
smallport is 136hp standard though. okay so i am going with the fcr. these come with map sensor???? I THINK doing this would be easy?? ive wired a bluetop engine before it was simple task and ran very well. so the dizzy part i should be fine
Find all posts by this user
02-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Project D
i did get that bit but it's way more time consumming to fine tune? is that the dellorto or fcr?are you saying its easier to fine tune the fcr?
02-02-2013, 10:13 AM
kpretro84 Wrote:okay so i am going with the fcr. these come with map sensor????

NO.
02-02-2013, 05:32 PM
No, what I'm saying is that way easier to tune an ITB setup than a carburetor, basically because on an injection setup you just set a value on the ECU (standalone) via a computer and you have a direct feedback of what you are doing via all the sensors.

On carburator (FCR or sidedraft) you have to change parts (idle jet / main jet / emulsion tube) till you find the right setup.
And the only sensor is YOU ! (your eye -> spark plug color, your ears -> how the engine behave, and your nose -> how it smell)
Some peoples use an AFR sensor to make the job a little bit easier, but if you have never done that before (with someone who have the knowledge and experience) it will still give you a massive headache Big Grin

For the map sensor, since when you need that kind of stuff on a carb ? Banging head
Carb are mechanical device so they don't need any kind of sensors !
No electronic stuff on that kind of setup.
02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Project D Wrote:No, what I'm saying is that way easier to tune an ITB setup than a carburetor, basically because on an injection setup you just set a value on the ECU (standalone) via a computer and you have a direct feedback of what you are doing via all the sensors.

On carburator (FCR or sidedraft) you have to change parts (idle jet / main jet / emulsion tube) till you find the right setup.
And the only sensor is YOU ! (your eye -> spark plug color, your ears -> how the engine behave, and your nose -> how it smell)
Some peoples use an AFR sensor to make the job a little bit easier, but if you have never done that before (with someone who have the knowledge and experience) it will still give you a massive headache Big Grin

For the map sensor, since when you need that kind of stuff on a carb ? Banging head
Carb are mechanical device so they don't need any kind of sensors !
No electronic stuff on that kind of setup.

What I think he´s doing is choping of the injectors and run the ignition via the standard ecu. Nasty way to do it, cause you keep stock rev limit and can´t run decent cams...
And yeah, setting up carbs, hard for someone new but it can be easy and quick, cheap by someone who knows his stuff.

1979 Toyota Corolla KE35
1983 Toyota Corolla AE86
1985 Toyota Corolla AE86
02-02-2013, 09:31 PM
sorry meant to say these come with a TPS? do FCR have a TPS? and if they do should i just remove it? No am not doing a mix of ECU and carb.thats rather messy thats why ive sold my efi blue top in this starlet and going red top with carbs. i am going to get the FCR manifold done modify a 4k dizzy and use a HVLP pump Carter 4070 72GPH 6PSI Fuel Pump doesnt need regulator says on trademe all il just do is replace my efi pump. but i dont know do i need the return line that use to be supply on the 4k engine? yes am fully aware of this they re no sensors on a carb On carburator (FCR or sidedraft) you have to change parts (idle jet / main jet / emulsion tube) till you find the right setup.
And the only sensor is YOU ! (your eye -> spark plug color, your ears -> how the engine behave, and your nose -> how it smell
All i want is the engine to rev past 8000 and have a great sound. i love how carbies hav backfire noises when over reving. i hate wiring so i am going FCR. i get the whole thing done installed on the car then take it to a tuner to tune it but would the fcr carb start the engine before tuning without changes done to it? because i am gna need to drive it to the tuner.
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
TPS = electronic sensor = absolutely not necessary ;-)

For the manifold, if you want a bolt on one:
http://www.rhdjapan.com/rs-chita-short-i...ae86-63788

I have a friend who have a used FCR ramp (who need do be cleaned) for sell.
He also have his complete RS-Chita kit for sale (160hp with 256° HKS cams and higher compression) because he want to go on ITBs.

PM me if you are interested Wink
02-03-2013, 07:00 AM
kpretro84 Wrote:sorry meant to say these come with a TPS? do FCR have a TPS?
NO.
Also, FCR is just a carb. model type, one of many from that company, one company of many manufacturers that make many models of sidedrafts, beside a range of sizes.

Your desires of 8000rpm & sounds great & backfires can be accomplished with many other carburetors that don't have a high cost from demand by actual racers & a million wannabes.
I'm outa' here.
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
+1, if you just want noises, use a constant velocity type carb like I believe Uzelac did and it will be a lot easier to get running and tune. If you pick one correctly it might not need tuning at all. It will also be a lot easier on the wallet.
Just need to have a place like bogbros weld you up a manifold.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/S-K-Toyota-Formu...de&vxp=mtr

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about 4AG 20v Engine Block CHACAMAN 1 1,507 06-10-2022 05:17 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  Newb question on "how-to" guide for ITBs on JDM 4AG Bluetop w/ MAP mister86 12 10,510 02-10-2020 06:39 PM
Last Post: Power_uP
  Toda timing info - with good general 4AG timing info too oldeskewltoy 0 4,213 11-05-2016 01:34 AM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy
  SOME 4AG valve spring specs oldeskewltoy 5 13,040 05-04-2015 01:17 PM
Last Post: Project D
  ford type 9 gearbox with 4age engine filh 29 47,549 01-11-2015 01:02 PM
Last Post: filh