Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
04-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
NoHachi Wrote:Discs can be found in 4x114.4 std volvo PCD so that would be easier then crossdrilling a new pattern.
AE86 front brake disk holes must be 4X85.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
Buy Mintex 1144 pads for the hachi..they cost about 85 euro's I think, but will give you good all-round performance from what I'm told. Ask Zax, he uses them. They are easy to order from AutoSportParts in Delft. Very nice guy running a small specialty shop (real racing parts, not the poser stuff).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
Ivan,

I was thinking about getting those...

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Moved down under, no more hachi Sad
Find all posts by this user
04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
@jamie...4x85?? Its not the same PCD as the wheelstuds?
Might be the case...but it would be the first time I ever saw that on a car.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
It's the same lol. The studs go through the brake disk onto the rim. PCD

Broken down 1984 Trueno HB
[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade]
04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
on ae86 the wheel studs do not go through the front brake disc so im sure jamie is right that they are 4 x 85mm they bolt onto the inside of the hub!

fc calipers are abundantly availible in england but the mounting brackets? any small engineering shop who wnted to make some extra cash could make them maybe using ians as a template?

jon how much are the mounting brackets in japan? postage would be cheap and quick on just some brackets maybe a group buy?

im quite interested as this would be a usefull upgrade for me as cooking the standard brakes is not hard on track....... even on the road........

ian you use your 86 at donny quite a bit how do the fc calipers fare against brake fade?

Run Free and take a Goodline

V8FOURCAM32 MK3 Supra
Patchwork AE86 from 4AGE to 7AGE to 4AGZE and now 4AGEU20v
suzuki cappuccino
mondeo TD
04-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
Take a look:
http://www.aeu86.org/download.php?id=1825

You can see clearly the difference between the distance between the holes in the disc, and the distance between the studs.

Why motorsports? Because other sports require only one ball!
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
Stupid system, so much to take appart just to change the disk brakeSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

04-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
check! First time ever saw that one...why on earth would they do that!
Making brake brackets is peanuts for anyone with some machineshop experience. Copying them is matter of drawing them in autocad and then just letting the CNC lathe produce them.
I just don't see why the FC calliper would be an upgrade. The distribution of clampingforce is a little better, but thats not that dramatic. The only true benefit would come from a larger disc diameter, is that the case?

I agree with Ivan on the availability though. Here in Holland a set of reconditioned FC/FD callipers would be about as expensive as a new set of Wilwood Dynalites. Pads would be hard to find and probably expensive. Much better to stick to some well known calliper types from europe, like Girling etc that have been used extensively in racing.

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
04-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Mazda 4pot Brake Upgrade
NoHachi,

I think on ians setup he only has the new calipers, the disk seems pretty much a stock sized one... Could be wrong though...

I dont think the setup will improve that much, maybe with different rotors. All depends on how much can be won over the stock setup (your locking of wheels theorySmile ).

In the end, I think for us dutchies this swap does not make sence, we'd go from expensive to over expensive.

Finding out if there are cheaper calipers with cheaper pads that are bigger then stock and have rotors available that will fit the hachi just fine. Now that sounds interesting because in the long run it will be a money saverSmile

Greetz,

Bastiaan "mux213" Olij

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Radiator oem or upgrade on racecar? Jimmi The Kid 5 5,537 06-23-2017 05:21 PM
Last Post: pack
  Ta60 carina steering upgrade? Allexz 15 14,768 06-01-2016 08:12 AM
Last Post: Allexz
  Weir Performance rear upgrade kit for AE86 heshan 5 8,890 07-22-2013 09:11 PM
Last Post: heshan