7AGE Build
07-23-2024, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2024 09:21 PM by apardal.)
7AGE Build
Hi!

NOTE: Not AE86 related as I've installed the 7AGE 16v on my MR2 AW11 which I'm racing more frequently now.

I've built a 7AGE with almost everything stock and I'm now wanting to get more power out of it. It dynoed a weak 125hp@crank but laptimes became a little faster compared to the stock 4AGE so I believe the dyno was a bit conservative, and since then I've adjusted the fuel which made the car run cooler and faster.

It has been running fine except for the fact that the oil heats up a lot more than my previous 4AGE with the same exact cooling system. It doesn't go below 120ºC with an electrical oil pump scavenging oil from the oil pan to the front mounted radiator running full time around the track (when before with the stock 4AGE it was running between 90-100ºC with the external oil pump working a few seconds per lap).

The calculated CR is 10.6:1 and I'm trying to find out what are the biggest camshafts in lift and duration keeping the stock intake manifold and getting a nice ECU with bigger injectors.

Group A engines ran 304 duration low lift (7.5mm) cams with the stock manifold but I believe it is possible to run a more round engine with for example the 288º 8.5mm TODA camshafts.

Do you guys have any experience with built 7AGE's keeping the stock manifold?
Find all posts by this user
07-24-2024, 08:15 AM
7AGE Build
I've got no experience with 7AGE's, but I'd advise anyone interested in knowing what works on a 4/7AGE to have a good look through the garage4age youtube catalog.
He's getting great power out of his Kelford 193B cams, which are not on the extreme end of things (but not on the conservative end either).

I wonder why your 7A would run higher oil temps though... makes no sense to me, same oil capacity, almost same engine.
Your oil cooling setup sounds a bit unusual to me, but I'd think it should be effective enough in principle. The AW11 being a mid-engined car, and the cooler being front mounted, you probably have quite some oil capacity. Are you sure you're getting enough airflow through the cooler? If not, it will only function as a heat sink. If your cooler is just hanging in the breeze you might benefit from some dedicated ducting tot he cooler, you ideally want to have a pressure differential across the cooler at speed. If air can go around it easily, pressures will mostly equalize, and then your back to it working as a heat sink rather than a radiator.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-24-2024, 09:53 AM
7AGE Build
(07-24-2024 08:15 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  I've got no experience with 7AGE's, but I'd advise anyone interested in knowing what works on a 4/7AGE to have a good look through the garage4age youtube catalog.
He's getting great power out of his Kelford 193B cams, which are not on the extreme end of things (but not on the conservative end either).

I wonder why your 7A would run higher oil temps though... makes no sense to me, same oil capacity, almost same engine.
Your oil cooling setup sounds a bit unusual to me, but I'd think it should be effective enough in principle. The AW11 being a mid-engined car, and the cooler being front mounted, you probably have quite some oil capacity. Are you sure you're getting enough airflow through the cooler? If not, it will only function as a heat sink. If your cooler is just hanging in the breeze you might benefit from some dedicated ducting tot he cooler, you ideally want to have a pressure differential across the cooler at speed. If air can go around it easily, pressures will mostly equalize, and then your back to it working as a heat sink rather than a radiator.

I believe those Kelfords will require a better intake setup than the OEM intake manifold. But that's a good suggestion! Thank you

Regarding the oil cooling, the radiator was effective enough with the 4AG, I just think the 7AG is generating more heat, but don't know why. Initially I thought it could be from the fact that it was running a little lean, but now I've richened it up it's still hot @120ºC.
07-24-2024, 01:32 PM
7AGE Build
I agree with Ivan, look at ducting to the oil cooler, but also is there and unrestrictive air flow path exiting from the cooler. You may also have other oiling issues. Do you have the stock splash shield, look at a diffuser screen and crank scraper and do not over fill the sump, which also interduces more air into the oil. As for the stock intake, at your power level the manifold should not be the limiting factor. There are 4AGE's making 170 -180HP using the stock manifold. You can improve the manifold by removing the butterflies in the TVIS system, [ I'm assuming a race only car ] fish mouthing the ports as it transitions into the cylinder head, and you could also port the throttle body.
07-26-2024, 08:33 AM
7AGE Build
Probably a bit superfluous to mention, but perhaps also have a look at what your ignition timing is doing, that can have quite an effect on engine temps too.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2024, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2024 12:12 PM by apardal.)
7AGE Build
(07-26-2024 08:33 AM)Ivan141 Wrote:  Probably a bit superfluous to mention, but perhaps also have a look at what your ignition timing is doing, that can have quite an effect on engine temps too.

Yes, I'm going to check that.

I've ordered a pair of Toda 288 8.5mm lift camshafts and will be using aftermarket ECU that I hope I can get properly tuned on a dyno.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Build your own adjustable fuel pressure regulator ;) oldeskewltoy 8 20,471 08-19-2018 12:08 PM
Last Post: AlexKTM
  timingbelt 7age 20V!! slowboy2 3 6,670 06-21-2016 09:41 AM
Last Post: ditn
  7AGE to W58, cluth type? slowboy2 3 5,355 05-25-2013 01:37 PM
Last Post: slowboy2
  Finding TDC on a 7AGE oldeskewltoy 3 5,952 03-30-2013 05:03 PM
Last Post: asyrigos
  NA Build Questions | Blue-/ Redtop questions d3nso 18 15,761 02-25-2013 07:01 PM
Last Post: oldeskewltoy