Another engine
07-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Another engine
So I just fitted another engine to the '86
Smallport with reversed intake etc.
It's blowing white and blue smoke Banging head
real bad white smoke after idling and blue smoke when revving.
Headgasket and valve stem seals ?

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
07-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Another engine
have you done a compression and or a leak down test on the engine? this should reveal your trouble quiet quickly...

AE86 ex-daily
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Another engine
Yes I did a compression test and all four cylinders were the same give or take 5psi but they were also suspiciously high at around 245psi.
cylinders 1 2 3 are ok looking at the plugs but cyl 4 has a small amount of oil fouling.
Head off tomorrow.
I will definately be fitting the Catcams Bean, this standard engine feels completely flat and lifeless compared to my old one.
If you are thinking of using these cams I say do it but don't use any kind of SAFC to control the fueling.
atb, TC

07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Another engine
that's strange - 245ps are over 16bar that's realy high... have you changed anything that alters compression ratio? When you take off the head check if the exhaust valves have any excessive play - replacing the stem seals is easy but if there's too much play in the guide/stem they'll brake again.

oh and no worries - I do have a standalone at hand Wink

AE86 ex-daily
07-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Another engine
It's ok Hurray!
Blocked breather on the cam cover.
Lack of power was due to the ignition not advancing, sorted that and it goes very well.
White smoke ?
almost certainly a small amount of grease I used to slide the manifold into the exhaust. All gone now.

07-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Another engine
Gasket behind TB acan be rotated 90, 180, 270 and still fit, only issue is all but one way will block the PCV vent adn you pressurise the crankcase and bad things happen.

http://www.skynet.ie/~eireae86
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Another engine
Interesting that.
When the inlet was modded by cutting and swapping the ends the breather inlet pipe can no longer have a direct line to the throttle body. Instead it just goes into the plenum air space.
I now have the plenum inlet blocked and the engine breather going to a catch can. I'm not sure what is happening at the throttle body though.

07-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Another engine
Nothing happens at the throttle body end, as the port for the crankcase
vent is now on the "wrong" side, and effectively blocked off.

Cheers... jondee86

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,955 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Need engine,any engine Apolan 25 17,717 10-29-2006 06:55 PM
Last Post: ZaX