Let's Discuss Engine Swaps for the Budget User!
03-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Ok guys,

Really need your help here. I bought this car:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/594657406.html

engine was unfixable (mechanic said so). Wondering what I should put into it.

I paid 500 euros for the car (was it a good deal!!!!) and don't want to spend more than 1000 total (excluding tools).

Any suggestions for a buyer on the cheap? Also it should be fairly easy to swap. I was considering the 4AC but they are impossible to find here for a good price...

Thanks very much, and please tell me if I got a good deal on the car!

PS: I am a new member from the US (San Francisco, California). Love the community here!
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2008, 11:27 AM
i think thats a very nice car to buy and should be a project car Smile i dunno about any engine stuff in your country.it would be of great if you can afford a ca18 or sr20 but i think they ll be expensive for your budget.it has some nice parts that ll not needed to be changed.if i had the chance i woul buy it but u must make your choise smartly Smile i hope u ll do the best for your self Thumbs up!

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - Let's Discuss Engine Swaps ...dget User!]
03-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Dont give up so soon with the 4AC. I firmly believe that it's the only engine you can put in there PROPERLY (meaning, fully serviced) for under 500 dollars.
You could find a 4AGE, but all the modifications and parts you need with it will end up costing you lots. I think a bare 4AGE with all new belts/filters/seals would end up costing you about 5-600 dollars. Add the ancillaries, fuel system modifications and perhaps a GTS rear axle and your looking at 1000-1500 dollars.
If you want serious power in the long run, look for a CA18DET. It's one of the easier swaps, but I dont think your ready for that quite yet. It involves custom made parts.

So take my advice on this one, there are plenty ae86 owners in cali, you'll find them on several forums around the US, but club4ag is the best place to start. Just post a thread asking if anyone from your area has a 4AC engine that they are willing to part with, I would say it shouldnt cost you more than 150-200 dollars "(if it's a mint engine, dont count on it though).

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you want to start enjoying it immediatelly or do you already have a first car and want to build this one real nice. if it is the former just take ivans advice.. Maybe the engine is fixable with a couple of fresh parts, but you'd probably be better of with an untouched toyota engine. And you even get left with some money to focus on other areas of the car, which are equally important like worn out bushings, various suspension/steering components, rust spots, shocks, springs, tires etc.
03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Check even rotary engines + gearbox combo - you are in the USA !
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Jamie, remember he's new to all this... rotary swaps are not a good idea for a first-time mechanic.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
03-11-2008, 04:45 AM
^^Thanks Ivan. Its true: this is my first time!

I am very good with tools though and do have friends to help as well. That being said I think I can do a stock Toyota engine swap (4AC, 4AG, 4AGZE). The real problem here is money.

So I have a stock SR5 corolla hatch right now with an unfixable engine (seller claims). I can replace the engine with a 4AC, but that is hard to find right now for a reasonable price. Or I can do a 4AG swap right?

What is the additional hardware needed in addition to the 4AG longblock? Also how much would the total cost tally up to for the additional components?

Thanks!
03-11-2008, 07:29 AM
generalachoo Wrote:^^Thanks Ivan. Its true: this is my first time!

I am very good with tools though and do have friends to help as well. That being said I think I can do a stock Toyota engine swap (4AC, 4AG, 4AGZE). The real problem here is money.

So I have a stock SR5 corolla hatch right now with an unfixable engine (seller claims). I can replace the engine with a 4AC, but that is hard to find right now for a reasonable price. Or I can do a 4AG swap right?

What is the additional hardware needed in addition to the 4AG longblock? Also how much would the total cost tally up to for the additional components?

Thanks!

if your ok with swaps just rebuild a 16V 4age high comp block w/ a big port head if you want to kick it up a notch do what my brother did a 20V bottom with a 16V head that will bump your compression higher. if you plan on doing a 4agze from a AW11 MR2 not worth it
03-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Yeah but what else do I need in addition to the 4AG engine itself....and how much would the total cost of the swap be (the sum of all the required parts in addition to the stock SR5 hatch with blown 4AC engine)
03-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I thought you bought the car already?

If youre looking for a clean conversion it can range fron $600-$1500 (exc. Car)

Depends really a GTS parts car can be bought for $1K (If youre lucky)

Look at club4ag.com or hachiroku.net for more info.

SEARCH

Spending $2000 to make a really slow car just slow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Budget complete handling package DidiDex 15 15,015 01-30-2015 03:06 AM
Last Post: Project D
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,955 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Suspension swaps from other cars ? Okami 5 5,498 01-15-2012 04:49 PM
Last Post: ditn
  Let's solve my 20V conversion problems Jezza_hr 11 12,049 06-16-2010 01:48 PM
Last Post: fkn16v
  just bought sum celica supras an im on a budget need tires?? truebluegallo 4 4,410 10-28-2008 10:21 PM
Last Post: banpei