Rear link bushes
02-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Rear link bushes
I have removed the 4 link arms and Im about to fit uprated bushes.
The car is used for competition, tarmac rally, would it be better with spherical (heim ?) joints as opposed to rubber ?
I'm thinking that the spherical joints will allow the axle to articulate more and faster, the rubber bushings seem to restrict movement.
What would you do ?

An analogue brain in a digital World
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Rear link bushes
Polybushes are very,very good,
but so are heims,
If you go down the rosejointing route, the shell had better be good at the axle points & should be given a bit of seam welding to strenghten, these joints also need to be replaced on a regular basis esp with bumpy rallying.
Id polybush it, but then again I dont rally,,, My mates have used both, polybushing is just the easier of the 2

An 86 is for Life, not just for Christmas
02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Rear link bushes
Eircamae86 Wrote:Polybushes are very,very good,
but so are heims,
If you go down the rosejointing route, the shell had better be good at the axle points & should be given a bit of seam welding to strenghten, these joints also need to be replaced on a regular basis esp with bumpy rallying.
Id polybush it, but then again I dont rally,,, My mates have used both, polybushing is just the easier of the 2
What you say makes a lot of sense, I guess the only real issue with my new bushes (not poly but harder rubber) is that any change in ride height will require that I loosen all of the bolts. Is this correct ?
I have gone the harder rubber route as, from experience, the poly bushes don't last that long.

An analogue brain in a digital World

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4 Link setup and Traction brackets Jezza_hr 5 9,824 07-21-2014 09:12 PM
Last Post: Bean
  Wanted: Link to Beams Blacktop engine manual pdf irishtwincam 7 8,565 01-03-2014 11:31 AM
Last Post: irishtwincam
  Mumford link Lajoosh 4 7,160 11-27-2013 09:01 AM
Last Post: Lajoosh
  Rear ae86 rear discs & pad part numbers? J-86 4 5,711 11-30-2012 06:32 PM
Last Post: J-86
  T3 5 link kit Eric 1 3,190 02-25-2010 09:19 PM
Last Post: Eric