an engine conversion
using a nissan 180sx s13 1.8turbo
into a toyota corolla AE86??
thanks for any help!!
Find all posts by this user
12-02-2005, 03:03 PM
bigger engine??
http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic.php?t=642...ht=ca18det

Drifting - best fun you can have in your car with your pants on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2005, 03:58 PM
bigger engine??
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.................
Don't do that kind of "Frankestein" mods to your Hachi!!!
Keep it a TOYOTA one!!!

AE86 FANATIC!!!
12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
bigger engine??
Honda S2000 F20C engine? Perhaps complete with S2000 drivetrain like 6-speed gearbox?

LINK

[Image: AEU86 AE86 - bigger engine??]

Nissan SR20DET engine?

12-30-2005, 09:10 PM
bigger engine??
I think with hachis you lose too much of the characteristic of the car with a big engine, the whole ae86 magic for me is the precise throttle control, and delecate steering input, you'll lose all of that with a sr20, or honda motor. If you want big power get a 200sx, or a r32 it will be cheaper in the long run, and those cars suit big power better.

Also you'll need to replace gearbox and axle at around 200+BHP mark, and then you've only got the shell of a corolla the rest is just a nissan/ford ect.

4age for life :wink:
12-31-2005, 02:18 PM
bigger engine??
Why would you lose steering input and throttle control through a swap!? Come on..the 4A-GE is nice but its nothing special..big heavy cast Iron block..so swapping to anything modern and aluminium will gain you steering response..
Also, throttle control is not that special...certainly no better then any other engine with the throttle valve at some distance to the ports..

What exactly is your definition of a 4A-GE? The stock engine? IMHO thats a pretty boring unit..really nice around town, enough torque down low to pull nicely out of corners, but totally unsatisfying whenever you take it above 6500rpm..it does rev to 8000..but its not like the engine really wants to go there.. So what next?
Change camshafts? Change compression? Change pistons and rods? Change intake and exhausts?
How exactly can you still call that a 4A-GE when only the big lump of metal with holes( that you probably enlarged) is left of the engine? How exactly is that different to switching to another engine that has the cams, rods etc as stock units, but just a different name on the valve cover?

Come on..its just a bunch of parts thrown together,,there is no magical toyota thing going on..No matter how much some of you like to regard cars as a religion..

Offcourse all imho...;-)

A wheel to steer the front of the car
A pedal to steer the rear
12-31-2005, 02:32 PM
bigger engine??
about the throttle and steering inputs you will lose feel, more so with a turbo motor, too much torque for the chassis to cope with, and turbos suck for throttle control anyway.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for tuning the 4a-ge, my ideal engine would be some pretty lairy cams, ITBs, 4-1 manifold, ae101 rods, and ae111 crank for big revs, maybe 9500 redline.

If I was going for a non 4age though definatly would be NA, either XE or F20
12-31-2005, 02:59 PM
bigger engine??
I don't really agree and also..I'm quite bored at the moment Big Grin so lets see:

I can agree with you that sticking a big large heavy engine in there is not a good plan..to much power is not good, 70-30 weight distribution isn't either..

But the engine you describe, sorry but thats not a 4A-gE..thats a nightmare..It leaves almost nothing left of the original engine..if you want it to make power at 9500rpm you will have none until 6500 and there is no way that it will be anywhere near reliable...
Why not just go for an engine that has the cams etc etc as stock, but also the engineering behind it so it doesn't have to be rebuilt every year?

Maybe its because I look at engines differently..I have had to model several engines in Engine modelling Suites for the student racing team thing..ever since then I don't see the magnificent [insert brand name here] engine, with its many racing succes bladibla. but just a lump of metal, with bore X, strokeX, rod/stroke ratio ofX, cam lobe profile XxY, runner lengths (intake+exhaust) X, port efficiency bladibla..Some of you go to such lengths to create an engine with an effective rpm range slightly higher, while you could have just pulled that engine from the rack..
I understand that you like a challenge (everyone needs a hobby), but I just can't get my head around the whole toyota worshipping thing...care to explain it to me?

Also, the whole throttle response thing is a fairly weak argument..a tuned 4A-GE has poor throttle response everywhere outside its very narrow powerband..A turbo has great response when the turbo has spooled..Which, if properly sized, would be all the time at the track.
Try a turbo with a blow through setup and itbs...

12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
bigger engine??
Well that more my preferences I know exactly where your coing from, with an engine is only an engine point, but also what is it in the 86 is it you actually like, and made you buy one. For me one of the reasons I love them is for the engine, not the biggest reason but one of them. Also nmaybe I've watched a few to many Jap Club AE86 vids and been hypnotized by the whole 4age magic.

I guess I'm abit too much of a purist for my own good

Oh yeah, should have mentioned my cars probably going to be more for drift and track, rarely would it ever see normal road driving
12-31-2005, 03:47 PM
bigger engine??
You might be right there..always felt disappointed by the 4A-GE. throw in a couple of slightly longer duration cams and you DO get that rush to redline..the one feature that I really like in an engine..you would lose some of the torque though, so you need some more displacement..but a 7A-GE is just a really poor design for an engine, so you look for something with proper bore/stroke ratio's etc etc etc Thats more or less where my mind races to in a couple of seconds..

Or do what I'm doing..don't throw a bigger engine in the AE86..but throw the 4A-GE is a 250kg lighter car..where the reduced torque from the wilder cams isn't noticed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bigger radiator for AE86? Uzelac 3 6,063 08-14-2015 07:08 PM
Last Post: bozu
  toyota a series engine....can a fwd corolla engine be used 210 datsun guy 5 7,955 10-30-2013 11:18 PM
Last Post: banpei
  Bigger injectors mms 2 3,671 01-17-2012 11:47 PM
Last Post: gon
  Need engine,any engine Apolan 25 17,714 10-29-2006 06:55 PM
Last Post: ZaX
  Where to buy bigger and better brakes? Jimmi The Kid 16 11,893 10-27-2006 07:41 PM
Last Post: Denmark