Welding equipment
10-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Welding equipment
Guys,

I've had a good look at the rear of my car, and the general state of my old dapper-crapper volvo 360 and it seems to me that it would be wise for me to learn how to weld. There have been more times than I can remember when I've wished I had a welder at home to do this or that, and now I want to buy one.

But what to buy?
I'm led to believe that a MIG welder would be best for all-round work and ease of use.. and they say to get one with separate gas tank (not the gas-filled wire type).

Can anyone with experience give me some tips on what to look for?
How much amps, what wire thicknesses for car bodywork etc. etc.

Cheers..

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Welding equipment
http://business.search.ebay.com/_Busines...QQsbrsrtZd

Choose wise !
I think plasma cutter + welder will be good combo (maybe combined in one single machine).

My choice is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MTC160-inverter-ARC-...dZViewItem

OR if you want also aluminium welding capability:

http://cgi.ebay.com/welder-super-160-MMA...dZViewItem

It's good to have at least 120Amps (over 160 is overkill), 0.8mm wire (cheap consumable compared to 0.6 one), 1.2mm will be overkill.
10-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Welding equipment
hmm...I'm not too sure about the chinese stuff. Dont exactly have a good reputation quality-wise. BTW, does that thing handle MIG-style welding as well? I think TIG might be a bit too stiff of a learning curve for me.
A 130+ amp 0.6-0.8mm MIG welder is easy enough to find over here for around 400 euro's new, but if that chinese thing can handle MIG/TIG/Plasma cutting it might be worth some consideration.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Welding equipment
In fact in the near past AEG sold large quantity of electrical hand powertools (drills, grinders) made in Bulgaria (and rebadged). I worked in the plant at this time Wave
I bet that almost all relatively cheap stuff is Chinese under "reputable" labels ...
10-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Welding equipment
I know..same story in the electronics business.. almost all home-use devices (dvd players etc) are made in china, but the big brands do keep a tighter quality control than the manufacturers there usually do.

Anyways...I think it's going to end up being a mig welder bought locally. Now just need to find one second hand or just pick one to buy new.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Welding equipment
i was considering that purchase for a long time, almost the same time as i bought my rolla, som 6 months ago, cause it dould be a really less money costly to kame/learn it yourself...but i also can't make my mind what to buy...i was thinking of a MIG/TIG/CUT device...sooo tempting!!
Smile

my rolla's rear end in the boot, where the shox are bolted to the body is really really in bad shape, so i still think of it!!

adam
10-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Welding equipment
have got the same problem as adomz, so I'm looking for a weldingmachine to, Ivan do keep in mind that it can be used with 220V unless you got a 380V circuit to.
and make sure when you buy it it includes everything youu need (machine,gasbottle, wire) cause sometimes they are sold seperatly.
I'm looking for a used one, so if anyone knowes someone please let me know, doesn't have to be TIG it's just to fill up the holes in the car Thumbs up!
10-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Welding equipment
yeah.,..poor car...Smile

will see what i'll get here...asked some peeps over here to see if they can offer me something like that with 3 tips...would be great to learn welding!

adam
10-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Welding equipment
Nice to know I'm not the only one.. BTW, I know most of the time the stuff sells separately.. the gas bottle's are really damn expensive. I can buy a new MIG welder set with everything I need for around 500 euro's.. and be sure that it will do fine for car repair..maybe it would be wise to find a co-sponsor.

FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Welding equipment
I got a mig from "deca" 130 amp for 0.8 a 1 mm wire it works fine for 0.5mm/3mm.and for the ticker stuf i use "elektrode laspost"(dont know the englisch word?)
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  welding the diff, who's done it? megabob 8 6,759 11-26-2010 06:19 PM
Last Post: senna
  Spot welding vs seam welding ---> chassi cannabolic 8 9,187 11-26-2009 01:48 PM
Last Post: HybriD07
  spot welding cannabolic 6 5,866 03-23-2009 11:00 PM
Last Post: brownington_bomber
  Welding chassis (firewall to rail) should car be on stands? eightsixboy 1 2,945 03-21-2007 02:38 AM
Last Post: eightsixboy
  Seam welding, a few questions Morten 3 4,189 12-27-2006 09:56 PM
Last Post: Denmark